Fuel during the run...and advice? (Read 681 times)

2008 Philly Trifecta

My long runs are now up to 7mi, and I think I need to begin fueling during my long runs. So far, I use a Camelbak Flashflo, and bring a 10.5oz bottle of Gatorade. I make sure I'm hydrated, and eat a small meal approx 1.5-2hrs prior. Works well for the most part, but I was really draggin at the end. Wondering when you should use gels (or something else). If so, at what mile intervals? Any advice? Dave

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
    2008 Philly Trifecta:
    10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
    Philly Distance Run HM-9/21
    Philly Marathon-11/23
    "A goal not written down is only a dream...!"

mikeymike

Why do you feel like you need to fuel on the run at this point? (Serious question.) Are you feeling lightheaded and slowing down dramatically at the end of your long runs? I noticed your last long run was in really humid weather. I would guess that unless you're hypoglycemic, you were dragging more because of dehydration than a fuel issue. I don't normally have any fuel issues on runs up to 2.5 hours or so. I sometimes bring gels on runs longer than 2 hours, but more than anything that is just to practice for the marathon when I know I'll need to take in some calories to finish without bonking.

Runners run

2008 Philly Trifecta

Mikeymike- thanks for the reply! Not that I'm feeling lightheaded or anything, I believe the humidity really was what wiped me out... I was just wondering when/if you need to fuel during the run. What I'm doing now at 7mi seems to be working fine, just wondering if I was correct?! Dave

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
        2008 Philly Trifecta:
        10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
        Philly Distance Run HM-9/21
        Philly Marathon-11/23
        "A goal not written down is only a dream...!"

I generally don't fuel on anything under 2 hours, which for a slowpoke like me is 10-12 miles. Yesterday I did 20 miles and ate a pack of sports beans and a luna bar. I've never been a good fueler and someone suggested the luna bars to help me, which I suppose they do because I actually eat them unlike most things I used to carry. I don't like gels because they induce a gag reflex in me, but everything else can be hard to eat on the run. Give them a shot when your runs get longer or you feel like you need it. Otherwise, I do like sports beans but feel like they take a lot of time to consume.
          2008 Goals
        • Run 1250 miles
        • Get down to 135!
        • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon
        • Scout7

I think generally speaking, you don't really need any fuel for runs under about 90 minutes or so. Now, that's a fairly conservative estimate, as I know I've done around 2 hours with nothing or very little. If you're going to use gels, the packaging says every 45 minutes to an hour. That seems excessive to me. I don't think I've ever used more than 2 during a run. However, nutrition is variable; some people need a little more, some a little less.
              The key may be in your "small meal". It is true that for 7 miles you shouldn't need gels. However, I do find they make a huge difference on long long runs for me. I recently conusmed 3 gels on a 15.5 mile run (3 hours so I'm really slow). I also drank a 500ml botle of water (17 fl. oz) and 400 ml of electrolyte drinks in your camel back. (I use the power bar brand). But I only had a bowl of oatmeal 1.5 hours before this run. Your pre run meal should really be slow-release carbs, and nothing is better than oatmeal. If you had something sugary, you may have felt full, but may not have had enough carbs in you and you crashed. On your next 7 mile run, eat otameal, drink at least 17 fl oz of water 1 hour before your run, and take water and electrolyte drink with you, and that should be plenty to sustain you. Don't allow yourself to get thirsty, keep sipping.
              Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt
              Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Your need for carbohydrates is very dependent on your pace. The easier you run, the farther you can go without refueling (and the more you'll improve your aerobic ability). So if you find yourself starving and very dependent on carbs, try slowing down. It can make you faster in the long run.
                Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                  Are you eating enough otherwise? I don't use any fuel unless I'm running more than 10 miles ... and then I'll take a GU or jelly beans every 6-7 miles.
                  2009: BQ?

madness baby

I"m on the other side. I take something with me for anything 7 miles or more. In daily life, I eat every 2 hours, if not snacking more often. My girlfriends recently gave me a cookbook titled "I am almost always hungry". SO, while running, I err on the side of happy and not hungry. I take a couple of shot blocks or half a granola bar with me on a run more than about 7. Sometimes 5 miles if my run falls right before a meal. I also make sure have a snack before every run. So, do what works best for you. For me, it just keeps me happy and not feeling too depleted that last couple of miles. And if I am having a great run, I can just stay out there longer.
                    deb

I'll usually take fuel on runs less than 18 or 20 miles, but not always. Once I get around 22 miles, then I almost always have some sort of fuel and water. Once in a while I'll take something with me for shorter runs, but not too often. I will eat right before I run, though, and always when I get done with any sort of workout.

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I usually run early in the morning on an empty stomach. I found that I need a gu for anything over 5 miles.