WTF is a "Semitendinosus "?!?!? (Read 1723 times)

Giant Flaming Dork

I just got back from the PT and she said I have tendonitis in my semitendinosus (it's part of the hamstring). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitendinosus Yeah, when you get tendonitis in your semitendinosus it gives symptoms kinda-sorta like ITBS. Only if you do ITBS stretches, it doesn't help. This stupid thing has kept me sidelined for close to a month. It took a PT to find it. Even regular Dr. said it was the IT band. I'm glad I finally have a diagnosis that makes sense and the PT says that I will definitely be able to resume running again soon. What a pain in the *** (literally)!

http://xkcd.com/621/

colinw

Sounds like some new species of dinosaur!! Big grin Good luck, and hope you're feeling better soon!

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

What treatment are you getting? I have been getting treated for ITBS but it is not getting better?

Giant Flaming Dork

I'm seeing a PT. I got a script from the Dr. At home I need to do stretches, anti-inflammatories, ice and rest. Stretching 2-3x/day and icing for 15 min afterwards. Oh, and the PT "deep tissue massages" the tendon. When PT said she was going to do this, I thought "Massage? That sound nice and relaxing." I was already picturing a string of PT visits where I would get a nice massage and then go home. Well, let me just say that "deep tissue massage" is nothing like regular massage and when she hit the right spot on my leg, you could have peeled me off the ceiling. It was not the worst pain I have ever felt, but it was close to it. She then continued to do that for 20 minutes.

http://xkcd.com/621/

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Ouch! I'm so sorry you're dealing with an injury - but happy for you to finally have a diagnosis. Mystery injuries are rotten. Hope you heal up soon.
            ~ Fly ~
            Only as much as I dream can I be.
            veggies on the run
              Oh, and the PT "deep tissue massages" the tendon. When PT said she was going to do this, I thought "Massage? That sound nice and relaxing." I was already picturing a string of PT visits where I would get a nice massage and then go home. Well, let me just say that "deep tissue massage" is nothing like regular massage and when she hit the right spot on my leg, you could have peeled me off the ceiling. It was not the worst pain I have ever felt, but it was close to it. She then continued to do that for 20 minutes.
              I've been going thru similar "massage" for shin splints... I know exactly how you feel. Tongue My legs are re-bruised twice a week-- looks like I've been beaten with a baseball bat. Black eye It hurts like he!!, but it's working.
                Mark, hope you're getting better, but remember to take it slow and easy. Can you provide more information on your injury? You said it was in the Hamstring. Upper or lower and what are your pains (besides the PT). PS I found your email in my spam box, I'll get around to replying soon. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"