Does Shoveling Count?? (Read 1069 times)

runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

I was wondering if any one else thinks that shoveling snow should count as cross training?

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

Hell YES!!! As does chipping ice off the driveway!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Wingz

Professional Noob

It only counts if you log it... How many miles did you put in? Evil grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Hell YES!!! As does chipping ice off the driveway!!
          And here I thought I was done with that last week. Looks like we're getting another winter storm. One big problem is dh broke our big snow shovel while helping chip away at the ice so all we have left is the one we use for hiking. Looks like I'll have my work cut out this week. I'll be doing lots of "cross training" Angry

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

One big problem is dh broke our big snow shovel while helping chip away at the ice so all we have left is the one we use for hiking. Looks like I'll have my work cut out this week. I'll be doing lots of "cross training" Angry
            I'd be cross, too... Wink Winter has overstayed its welcome, yet again!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

I don't think you log it as miles but how long the side walk is and the number of driveways. Dead Winter doesn't bother me its the snow.........unless I was snowboarding then snow is fine. Do I dare say it time to jump on the dreadmill?

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

My driveway is short but, wide & steep. My snow blower spins its wheel at the bottom when it's icy so, most of the time I just shovel the damn thing. It takes awhile & I'm good & sweaty when I'm done. I also have that buzz you get when you do strenuous manual labor, almost like the buzz after a run. I wouldn't know how to log it but, it's definitely exercise. Any activity that can cause an estimated 1200 deaths a year, counts as crosstraing for me. Check it out... http://fwfd.org/ems/AHA.pdf

My driveway is almost a tunnel; I have over 4 feet of snow (well, mostly ice now) piled up everywhere except where we park.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Dog-Love

Just got in from shoveling 4 more inches and it felt like my arms went for a 10K run. Why did I want to live on an acre with a long driveway for a bit of privacy???? In the spring its great but right now the 4 foot walll on either side is feeling more like an igloo.
                    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                      So jealous of all the snow! It's 11 AM here and already 61 degrees. Got to say it's great to live in the southeast if you need to train all year. I don't think I'd be able to run in the cold like y'all do! Hope the warm weather catches you soon.
                      I have not run in vain nor labored in vain.... You must run in such a way that you may be victorious. --Paul, Phil 2:16, 1Cor 9:24