New Saucony Kinvara? (Read 4691 times)

bhearn

I'm kind of over the Kinvara.  I am almost 300 miles into my 2nd pair and while I still like them for faster running and road workouts, I think I'm done using them for runs over an hour.  I've always run in lightweight, neutral shoes--even doing a lot of running in racing flats year round--but for some reason these things cause my arches to get really sore after about an hour--not even sure its my arch or the top of my foot.  Part of it is I think that I have to tie these just a tiny bit tighter than most shoes to keep from floating around in them because the upper has nothing to it.   But either way, no more long runs in the Kinvaras for me.

I'm really loving those Fastwitch 4s. I've got about 300 miles on them so far. I could use these shoes forever. Too bad Saucony is going to change them. Maybe I should stock up now...

I'm kind of over the Kinvara.  I am almost 300 miles into my 2nd pair and while I still like them for faster running and road workouts, I think I'm done using them for runs over an hour.  I've always run in lightweight, neutral shoes--even doing a lot of running in racing flats year round--but for some reason these things cause my arches to get really sore after about an hour--not even sure its my arch or the top of my foot.  Part of it is I think that I have to tie these just a tiny bit tighter than most shoes to keep from floating around in them because the upper has nothing to it.   But either way, no more long runs in the Kinvaras for me.

Ditto for me re: top of the foot. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I'm really loving those Fastwitch 4s. I've got about 300 miles on them so far. I could use these shoes forever. Too bad Saucony is going to change them. Maybe I should stock up now...

Thats exactly why they are going to change them.....

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

According to UPS, pair number four should arrive tomorrow.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Just bought my first pair on. I've ran twice in them and I really hope I can get 4-5 hours in them tomorrow. I refuse to wear my Vibrams for that long in the cold!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I don't think the Kinvaras are going to be very warm.  It's a pretty thin, porous upper, so wear warm socks.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Some minor revisions are in the works, with the Kinvara II due soon.  They're moving the front spider forward, which might help those toe rubbing issues.  I'll be buying more of the original and putting them in the closet, just in case the revision doesn't work for me.

Running Warehouse blog on K2

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I don't think the Kinvaras are going to be very warm.  It's a pretty thin, porous upper, so wear warm socks.

Yep it is! Ken "made" me buy some wool running socks made by Swiftwick (they are awesome)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Ditto for me re: top of the foot. 

I've not had this issue with Kinvaras; however, the first thing I do when I get a pair is replace the shoelaces with Lock Laces:

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-LLSC.html

Maybe that could help?

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Is anyone else starting to literally hate the Kinvara because of it's faddist appeal?

Runners run

Runners run

Is anyone else starting to literally hate the Kinvara because of it's faddist appeal?

I hate them because everyone else seems to love them at the moment ∴ they're faddist, but more importantly because they don't fit me.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

I hate them because everyone else seems to love them at the moment ∴ they're faddist, but more importantly because they don't fit me.

I was always jealous of the Lunar Racer cult members, because it gets raves but that shoe just doesn't fit my feet.  Kinvara are the best trainers I've ever worn, hands down.

E.J.

I was always jealous of the Lunar Racer cult members, because it gets raves but that shoe just doesn't fit my feet.  Kinvara are the best trainers I've ever worn, hands down.

Grrrrr Joking

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."