Nike Zoom Fly as a daily trainer? (Read 35 times)

SamStevo

It's a neutral shoe with plenty of cushioning... listed to be a racing shoe for half and full marathons. Is this shoe usable as a daily trainer? or is it the same as training in any other pair of flats?

I haven't looked at them in person, but most Nike racing shoes are only designed for limited use. I'm guessing it would wear out after only 100-150 miles.

What makes a "racer" vs a "trainer" is usually light weight, which comes with limited durability. There are a few shoes that are within that racer weight class but are made to be trainers; I have a pair of Skechers GoRun-5 that are racer-weight trainers, and another pair of their Max Cushion Ultra Road-2, which are close to racer weight. The original Hoka Clifton was also a racer-weight trainer, but the subsequent models have put on weight. Even though I try to keep costs down, I can afford to get any shoe I want, but I'm on board the Skechers train right now because they're so light and comfortable. I used to have a pile of Hokas, now it's a pile of Skechers.

I define "racer weight" as under 8oz for a Men's size 9.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

At 8.5oz the Zoom Fly is a bit heavy to be considered a racing flat and they probably won’t last as long as some of the Hoka models at a similar weight. It might be better to use them for tempos/races and find a more durable shoe for your other workouts.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)