Strides... (Read 895 times)

Think Whirled Peas

Cool, thanks for the info! And Jeff, you need to change your avatar to the WVU logo. They're like UoM's coaching farm club of late.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

In all seriousness, can I just go by "feel" for how long to hold the acceleration?
      You can also sort of figure it out by setting a goal, i.e. it takes you approximately 20 secs to run a block. I've been "tsk-tsked" over my use of strides vs. intervals. I have no idea - except I hate them. I hate them with everything I have in me, and I have to cuss myself through them each and every time. Speedwork sucks. Dead . . . that being said, I also understand the necessity and have tried to become friends with them by telling myself how much they are improving my running. Let's just say the conversation is not working . . . Wink

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Think Whirled Peas

Come on Leslie, you must harness the pain...EMBRACE the pain. Pain is good... Evil grin

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

...---...

This has been a big help. Even the first post on form was a big help as well. The strider concept is much clearer.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Scout7

Less than 60 seconds is optimal. Other than that, you're training different systems.

SMART Approach

You can also sort of figure it out by setting a goal, i.e. it takes you approximately 20 secs to run a block. I've been "tsk-tsked" over my use of strides vs. intervals. I have no idea - except I hate them. I hate them with everything I have in me, and I have to cuss myself through them each and every time. Speedwork sucks. Dead . . . that being said, I also understand the necessity and have tried to become friends with them by telling myself how much they are improving my running. Let's just say the conversation is not working . . . Wink
              Leslie, Do you hate striders or intervals??? I am assuming fast and a bit longer intervals. Striders should not be too painful because they are not done long enough or hard enough.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I'm a big fan of striders probably because I get to feel like I'm incorporating some aspect of speed with the difficulty attendant to intervals or tempo runs. Though to be clear they are very different from those runs and do not work the same systems. To repeat someone else's post, striders should not be painful or even draining. It's my understanding, which almost always comes from Pfitz or Daniels, that striders are meant to engage fast twitch muscle and more generally teach the body to run at a faster speed than we normally train. The primary purpose of striders is not to improve your CV system. With this in mind, I, like other posters, do them exclusively after easy runs. I know some put them in or before the easy run, but I like to approach these after for a few reasons. Physically, I think your muscles should be warmed up before doing them. Psychologically, I like to separate them from the run. If I put them into the middle of an easy run, I fear that it will turn my easy run into something harder than it should be. It takes a lot of concentration for me to run easy runs at the appropriate pace. So, I just find it easier to do striders afterward. The suggestion that you can run these by feel is, in my opinion, very in keeping with the way these should be approached. Take whatever run is most daunting for you (20M long run, extended tempo run, etc.) and put that on one side of the spectrum; the other side should be reserved for striders. These are not hard at all. In fact, I find them really fun. Running fast -- I do the fastest part of the strider at about 90% of all out -- is really different then the rest of my training and is really refreshing. It kind of reminds me of being a kid on a playground.

Feeling the growl again

Strides are a great way to stay in touch with your speed even during times (ie base) when you want to avoid anaerobic work. I find I also feel more refreshed after easy runs if I finish with a handful of strides. I'd say about 100m is optimal; any longer and you increase the amount of anaerobic stress. The purpose in neuromuscular and this is accomplished in 75-100m. There is no need to be exact...no watch, certainly no GPS, just do them. I usually accelerate over 30-50m and hold peak speed for the rest...usually mile race pace roughly. Again it's by feel and the exact pace is not important. 5-8 of them is a good number....too many and fatigue can begin to set in. Do NOT focus on lengthening your stride. You shouldn't ever do this in running...stride length should take care of itself as you go faster, focusing on longer strides invariably leads to over-striding.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

if you have a garmin, just google your m distance in miles... 100m= .06 miles 200m= .12 miles 400m= .25 miles 600m= .37miles I hit lap to start and finish.

Jennifer mm#1231

Leslie, Do you hate striders or intervals??? I am assuming fast and a bit longer intervals. Striders should not be too painful because they are not done long enough or hard enough.
                      I hate speed. I'm such an easy goin' gal, I prefer to just take my time. Why ruin a perfectly peaceful run with bursts of speed - short or long? I mean, when actually do strides/intervals, I get goin' so doggone fast, I might not see that pothole that's opened up like the Grand Canyon right in the middle of my path. Safety first! Big grin . . . . okay, when I run fast, I get nauseous. I have no idea why. Short bursts, 2-min death runs - doesn't matter. I get nauseous. Tight lipped Haven't actually puked yet, but many times have wished I could. Probably just pushing it too hard.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...---...

Written by dnice: With this in mind, I, like other posters, do them exclusively after easy runs. I know some put them in or before the easy run, but I like to approach these after for a few reasons. Physically, I think your muscles should be warmed up before doing them. Psychologically, I like to separate them from the run. If I put them into the middle of an easy run, I fear that it will turn my easy run into something harder than it should be. It takes a lot of concentration for me to run easy runs at the appropriate pace. So, I just find it easier to do striders afterward. The suggestion that you can run these by feel is, in my opinion, very in keeping with the way these should be approached. Take whatever run is most daunting for you (20M long run, extended tempo run, etc.) and put that on one side of the spectrum; the other side should be reserved for striders. These are not hard at all. In fact, I find them really fun. Running fast -- I do the fastest part of the strider at about 90% of all out -- is really different then the rest of my training and is really refreshing. It kind of reminds me of being a kid on a playground. Interesting approach (1st paragraph above). I like it. Is there any general rule of thumb as to how long (either in terms of time or distance) that should be considered before tossing in striders? Or is just being "warmed up" the key?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12