The "I should have stayed on the couch" run (Read 917 times)

I have no doubt that cycling will be in my future...in the next year or so, at least. My legs were made for bikin'. Unfortunately it's a much more $$ sport to break into. And I would miss being able to participate in frequent races the way I can with running. k
    I meant more as a cross training type of exercise to get the motivation back up, but that works too! You can find a used bike at a tag sale for $25-$100, and another $30-$100 at your local bike shop will get it fixed up for you. I recommend getting a helmet and sunglasses as well, but those are the biggest expenses to really getting started.

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I meant more as a cross training type of exercise to get the motivation back up, but that works too! You can find a used bike at a tag sale for $25-$100, and another $30-$100 at your local bike shop will get it fixed up for you. I recommend getting a helmet and sunglasses as well, but those are the biggest expenses to really getting started.
      Heh, a lot of what a bike shop would do to tune a bike for me can be done in my garage by my hubby (did/diddidit). He's a bit of a bike tools whore and does most of the maintenance on his own "baby" Specialized Roubaix Pro ("Ruby"...the other woman). Already have the helmet, clipless pedals, shoes... Unfortunately my bike is a clunky old mountain bike and I don't care for trail riding at all. Someday a real road bike would be nice, especially once our son (6.5) is old enough for his own road bike and we can go out as a family. I'd need a new saddle, too. The one I have almost instantly makes areas that I'd rather not have numb go completely so. Ouchie. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Heh, a lot of what a bike shop would do to tune a bike for me can be done in my garage by my hubby (did/diddidit). He's a bit of a bike tools whore and does most of the maintenance on his own "baby" Specialized Roubaix Pro ("Ruby"...the other woman). Already have the helmet, clipless pedals, shoes... Unfortunately my bike is a clunky old mountain bike and I don't care for trail riding at all. Someday a real road bike would be nice, especially once our son (6.5) is old enough for his own road bike and we can go out as a family. I'd need a new saddle, too. The one I have almost instantly makes areas that I'd rather not have numb go completely so. Ouchie. k
        Yeah, just start cruising yard sales, or throw up a wanted ad on craig's list, or if you have something like Uncle Henry's put a wanted ad in there (it's a local classified magazine that gets published around here every week). Tell your friends that you are looking for a cheap bike; maybe they have one in their basement or garage that they never use. Right now, I have two bikes. I gave my mountain bike back to my brother when he bought a house a few years ago thinking that maybe he'd actually use it and that I had no room to store it. I also have a motobecane I bought at a tag sale a few years ago that is an old junker touring bike, and I have a hybrid that I bought new and have just kept in good shape for the past 12 years or so.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Well I'm trying to stay in some kind of a schedule since I'm just getting back into training and it is STORMING here off and on all day. Good thing I have a bike and a trainer set up in the living room. Big grin
          "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW... WHAT A RIDE!!!" Muskingum College XC
          jcasetnl

Somebody beat me to, but yeah, cross training might be the thing. One thing I do is walk stairs when I don't feel like running. It's strangely relaxing. There's a place near where I live called the cascades and its about 130 stairs. I just walk them over and over, usually two at a time, and listen to the mp3 player. Sometimes I'll throw in a set of sit ups or pushups at the benches at the bottom. Since it's walking I don't even think things like "wow I'm running so slow today" or "my pace is so off today".