Recovery from first 50K race stalled (Read 88 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah...I'm not even 90sec slower after losing some organs, including a lung lobe. So that's kinda BS and we know it.

Most of my cycling is on Zwift, nowadays. If I'm riding outdoors it's on quiet gravel or solo on my tri bike, but during times of the day/days of the week when I know a specific route won't have much traffic. In recent years the incidents of motorists harming cyclists has definitely increased, as well as the vitriol. People with eyes on phones and not the road has not helped matters (we've had several people rear-end freaking school busses!)

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

HappyFeat

I did a lot of reading and one thing I found was in some cases, if it's iron stores that are low, you can be ok on hard efforts up to about 10 minutes. That was the case for me, I seemed ok until I tried a tempo run and then a 5k about a week later.

Yes - exactly! That makes total sense because it affects your stamina.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

HappyFeat

Yeah...I'm not even 90sec slower after losing some organs, including a lung lobe.

That is Awesome!! You are amazing!

Often we really have to educate ourselves and be our own advocates with our medical providers. As you say, they are so used to treating infirm patients, it seems they don't always know what to do with healthy athletic mid-life women who want to feel and perform at their best.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Stage 4 colorectal diagnosed in 2017, just 5 days after my 44th birthday...and in January my oncologist released me from his care. I shouldn't still be here, but I really believe that >17 years of avid endurance sports have kept me on this side of the dirt.

That is Aweome!! You are amazing!

Often we really have to educate ourselves and be our own advocates with our medical providers. As you say, they are so used to treating infirm patients, it seems they don't always know what to do with healthy athletic mid-life women who want to feel and perform at their best.

Totally. They're accustomed to treating people like my mom, who has never been active a day in her life. My MIL is the same age, but is fitter than a lot of women 30-40 years her junior. My goal is to be around for as long as possible to torment my kid, ha! But also not to be a burden on him as I age.

~ Sarah Kay

HappyFeat

zoom-zoom - Way to overcome and thrive!! You set an inspiring example.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

zoom-zoom - Way to overcome and thrive!! You set an inspiring example.

Thanks, runner friends. Mostly I’m trying not to become my parents. My dad didn’t see 70…his death and preceding health issues were entirely preventable. All of us working through health struggles and not throwing in the towel on running when it’s tough are setting ourselves up for healthier aging. Plus it’s kind of fun to confound our doctors! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Half Crazy K 2.0

zoom-zoom, oh wow, that's a lot to overcome.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm freaking stubborn, heh. It's both a blessing and a curse. 

~ Sarah Kay

thank you for advice

hello