I just missed a BQ by 1 second (Read 1026 times)

C-R

Great run! I agree with runnerday - pick a flat and fast run. I've never BQ'd but several of my friends have and this is the advice they give me. My plan is for a good shot in '09. I've run Disney 5 times and for my taste that one is a tough BQ for several reasons (crowds, weather (it can be very hot), start time/process, distractions - hey its Disney). Several of my friends have BQ'd there so it is doable. I hear Myrtle Beach is one of those fast courses. Regardless, sounds like your only hurdle is picking the best possible course and you will get to run Heartbreak Hil.l If you came that close while running uphill for the last six, you will blow away a normal finish. Keep the faith.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

DAMN. Congratulations on a good run and a sold PR. The others are right, pick a nice flat course and you'll BQ.
      JakeKnight

Ouch. Just ouch. One second. Ouch. Then again, that means you get to try again. Which sounds like fun to me. As others noted, its not like you can't do it. The BAA does supposedly consider appeals. I've heard stories of people who missed by a few seconds (or even minutes) and somehow talked their way in. Not sure if you'd want to - not sure if I would - but its an option. Can't hurt to try. Whatever. You'll do it next time. And telling people you missed a qualifier by one freakin' second makes a great story. Someday you'll think its pretty funny.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

mattw1970

Injured

I think if I only missed by 1 second I would definitely contact BAA and see what they say. Great race and time on what sounds like a rough course! I hope to BQ in my fall marathon this year but will need a 3:15:59 for my age group Shocked It will be tough but I have time yet.
          INJURED
            Thanks everyone for the kudos and for commiserating with me!
            And telling people you missed a qualifier by one freakin' second makes a great story. Someday you'll think its pretty funny.
            So true. That was actually one of my first reactions - that now I had a much better story than the usual "yeah, I qualified for Boston on my --th marathon"!
            The BAA does supposedly consider appeals. I've heard stories of people who missed by a few seconds (or even minutes) and somehow talked their way in. Not sure if you'd want to - not sure if I would - but its an option. Can't hurt to try.
            Yes, I probably could appeal, and yes, I'm not sure I want to. It's like I'm in purgatory or something! There's an interesting wrinkle though - 11Alive news videotaped every runner finishing. When I looked at my footage, I noticed that I had definitely crossed the finish line and the clock said 3:31:48 (official time). Why does this matter? Because the official time that is listed on the race results is 3:31:49! So I could argue (there are probably flaws in this argument - don't tell them to me though!) that for some reason my chip time jipped me out of one second - and that therefore my chip time should be 3:30:59. I'm probably grasping at straws though. Well, it's OK. This reminds me of when I was learning to play golf as a kid, and I was working so hard to break 80 for the first time. I kept getting close, and then blowing it one way or another at the end, like double bogeying the last hole and stuff. When I finally broke 80 for the first time, it was with a 77. Now I want to do a similar thing with the 3:30 barrier - next time I run a marathon I want to bust the 3:30 barrier and make it so it's not even close. Evil grin
              I agree with Mike. Fine effort. Way to work. You now know what it takes. You'll get there. A fine improvement over your last effort. I have no doubt you'll be toeing the line in Hopkinton soon enough. Still loads of time to qualify for 2009. At the same time, can't hurt to apply. Never know...
              milkbaby

My condolences... I think one second is the closest I've ever heard of anybody missing their BQ! I've also heard about the people who asked the BAA to let them run Boston when they missed their BQ by a little bit, so you'd possibly have a chance. But you have a better story this way if you don't! Smile One thing about the finish line clocks: usually they are not the official time as the official time should technically be done by the timer which is probably the computer reader that reads your running chip as you cross the finishline. You're in great shape to qualify next time out, so don't fret and good luck next time!!!
                "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
                hup

Sorry to hear that you "missed it by that much Dead But do keep working at it and you will no doubt shatter that time next time out. In 04 I missed my then 5 year old PR by 1 second at CIM. I cried. I went back in o5 and missed it by 8 seconds. That wasn't nearly as hard Wink Take care, hup

Well, it's OK. This reminds me of when I was learning to play golf as a kid, and I was working so hard to break 80 for the first time. I kept getting close, and then blowing it one way or another at the end, like double bogeying the last hole and stuff. When I finally broke 80 for the first time, it was with a 77. Now I want to do a similar thing with the 3:30 barrier - next time I run a marathon I want to bust the 3:30 barrier and make it so it's not even close. Evil grin
                    Aim for an Autumn marathon, if you make a real BQ, great. If not, register for the 2009 anyway and see if they let you in.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Awesome job anyway, even if a 1 second miss is disappointing. Come down to Savannah for the Tybee Marathon next Feb and you're nearly guaranteed a BQ. It's entirely at sea level, cheap, cool but not cold (perfect running weather typically), not at all crowded and close by.
                      Brandon