Too Many Calories From Low-Fat Foods Are Bad For your Health? (Read 882 times)

My Hero

FWIW. Saw a small article in a past issue of "SHAPE" to throw into the ring. Don't normally read the articles because I get side tracked looking at the pictures. Smile Bye-bye protein bars, hello salmon? Eating foods high in healthy fats (like cold-water fish) may help athletes avoid stress fractures and tendonitis, found a study at the State University of New York, Buffalo. Runners who ate a lowfat diet were more than twice as likely to suffer a training-related injury. "Skimping on fat lowers your intake of omega-3 fatty acids and calories," says Kristen Gerlach, Ph.D., the study's lead author. "Both of these factors make it tougher for your body to repair tissue after workouts, so you're more susceptible to injury." Get 30 percent of your daily calories from healthy fats and you'll stay off the sidelines.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wingz

Professional Noob

What is SHAPE?
      A popular fitness magazine geared towards women. Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I take little credence in science published outside of scientific journals unless it is a rehash of a formal study that was done. Was this one so?

A Saucy Wench

I recall seeing something similar in Runner's World several months ago, but dont recall what kind of "study" it was.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

mikeymike

I take little credence in science published outside of scientific journals unless it is a rehash of a formal study that was done. Was this one so?
            Not sure it was published in any science journals or if there were follow up studies but a 30 second google search revealed this press release about a study Gerlach did while she was a PhD student at SUNY Buffalo.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Here is the study: Gerlach KE, Burton HW, Dorn JM, Leddy JJ, Horvath PJ. Fat intake and injury in female runners. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2008 Jan 3;5:1. Abstract Background Our purpose was to determine the relationship between energy intake, energy availability, dietary fat and lower extremity injury in adult female runners. We hypothesized that runners who develop overuse running-related injuries have lower energy intakes, lower energy availability and lower fat intake compared to non-injured runners. Methods Eighty-six female subjects, running a minimum of 20 miles/week, completed a food frequency questionnaire and informed us about injury incidence over the next year. Results Injured runners had significantly lower intakes of total fat (63 ± 20 vs. 80 ± 50 g/d) and percentage of kilocalories from fat (27 ± 5 vs. 30 ± 8 %) compared with non-injured runners. A logistic regression analysis found that fat intake was the best dietary predictor, correctly identifying 64% of future injuries. Lower energy intake and lower energy availability approached, but did not reach, a significant association with overuse injury in this study. Conclusion Fat intake is likely associated with injury risk in female runners. By documenting these associations, better strategies can be developed to reduce running injuries in women. --small sample, self-reported data, wide standard deviation...hard to draw generalizable conclusions from this single study.
              mikeymike

...hard to draw generalizable conclusions from this single study.
                True but it does tend to back up everything my grandmother taught me about nutrition.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

2nd month over 100 miles. I am treating myself to a pizza or is it mistreating Big grin

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

A Saucy Wench

Personally I think this study is completely valid. Totally. Genius. Of course more fat reduces injury, gotta lube the joints and tendons and all that jazz. I am totally in favor of all nutrition studies that tell me that I need to eat more of the foods I like to eat and less of the foods I dont. Big grin Wink Seriously, I function better on a not terribly lowfat diet, but that is me and my particular dietary issues.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

My Hero

Other than the reduction in injuries from eating a low fat diet, that this study may indicate, there are other benefits from not pigging out on too many carbs. Like not loosing weight as fast as you think you should? It is pretty much common knowledge that when you take fat out of food, the carb (sugar) levels go up. Excess carbs eventually end up getting stored if not metabolized. I personally believe that some runners over do it with the carbs and don't get enough healthy fats and protein.

My Hero

Seriously, I function better on a not terribly lowfat diet, but that is me and my particular dietary issues.
                        I don't think you are alone on this.
                          Other than the reduction in injuries from eating a low fat diet, that this study may indicate, there are other benefits from not pigging out on too many carbs. Like not loosing weight as fast as you think you should? It is pretty much common knowledge that when you take fat out of food, the carb (sugar) levels go up. Excess carbs eventually end up getting stored if not metabolized. I personally believe that some runners over do it with the carbs and don't get enough healthy fats and protein.
                          Seriously? So I haven't really lost the 15 pounds I've lost on my high carb diet? I'm devastated. I thought all I had to do was burn more calories than I consumed.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

My Hero

I'm devastated. I thought all I had to do was burn more calories than I consumed.
                            You are absolutely correct. However, some people (runners included) eat more than they burn.