pain in right leg (Read 63 times)

Hristofor Iliev

Hello.
    I am a 38 year old man who has been actively practicing for many years. I have worn the meniscus on my right leg which means I cannot run often due to pain.
    One thing I have discovered: If I run in the winter and there is soft snow on the road I do not get pain.
    According to an orthopedist, I should not run anything at all.
    Do any of you have any advice what I can do so I can run a little but avoid pain?

Thanks you in advance

Regards Hristofor

SMART Approach

Strength work is key starting at hip and glutes  down to toes. Based on what you said, I would try to run on grass, dirt trails or trails with chips. These all take pressure and force off knees. Have you tried a treadmill?

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

And I find the treadmil harder on the joints than running outside. LOL!

I agree with Tchuck that grass and trails are going to be more forgiving. Stay off the sidewalks for sure! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Resident Historian

Shoes with very good cushioning should help. (Hokas, for example). 

Also, I've found that glucosamine has a positive effect on my knees, none of which has mensicus damage.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Carlos212

What was the reason for your injury. I've also developed calf pain after running a marathon. Which was healed after taking rest for 3 months. I would like to know how much time you keep yourself away from such activities to heal your injury.

I believe I have a messed up meniscus from lifting/twisting a lot of bags of cement about a month ago.

I have sharp twinges of pain if I over-extend, or run downhill without paying attention. I have discovered that if I "run on my toes", that is, land with more weight toward the front of my foot, I have no pain, even downhill. Perhaps when you run on snow you are more "on your toes" because it's slippery, and taking shorter strides. Shorter strides cause you to land with your center of gravity and force/momentum more forward on your foot like a midfoot or forefoot strike.

There are a few shoes that promote a midfoot strike, but I think experimenting with your gait might help. Extend your stride BACK, not out, and you'll have more of a midfoot strike.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying