Long run max when building your base (Read 1481 times)

I need to be running 44 miles/p/w to do a 13 mile long run???? come-on. I must be doing something extremly wrong. I think I was only doing 30-35 mpw when I ran a HM.
    These suggestions are meant as a general guideline for new runners. Obviously they won't work for someone training for a half or a full marathon because your weekly mileage would get too high. Also, half and full training programs are of finite length. You can get by with a long run that is a much higher percentage of your weekly mileage if it's only for a few months, but I believe that I and others have already mentioned that. Roll eyes Tom
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think I was only doing 30-35 mpw when I ran a HM.
      I was doing 30-35 mpw for the 3 weeks leading up to my first HM and 25-30 a few weeks before that.
      Sure, you COULD do a single long run or race of 13.1 miles on 35 mpw, but you will not likely do your best AND you risk injury AND you will require a longer recovery. What is wrong with running more miles folks? Isn't running why we are all here? Confused
      JakeKnight

What is wrong with running more miles folks? Isn't running why we are all here? Confused
        Good question! I've been meaning to bring it up ... http://runningahead.com/logs/259c5652820340638512f715ed2ff6c7

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

JK. Think about the overall context. And this.
            This is a great thread and has made me re-think my schedule... Thanks Figbash, Noby and everyone else. I really did think I was more than ready for a HM at 30-35 mpw and had a wonderful race. Of course I would be more prepared with 44mpw and probably even better prepared with 100... This year I'm running more days - 5 instead of four. And will be in that 40-50mpw range nearing my half (so I guess I will find out). I totally agree that when you are nearing your goal race you can break that 25% suggestion. Thanks for your input and putting up with my "come-on".
            mdmccat
            JakeKnight

JK. Think about the overall context. And this.
              You realize, of course, that I'm required by law to respond with just four letters: HTFU. Of course, I took my two weeks off, too, at the end of the year.

JakeKnight

This is a great thread and has made me re-think my schedule... Thanks Figbash, Noby and everyone else. I really did think I was more than ready for a HM at 30-35 mpw and had a wonderful race. Of course I would be more prepared with 44mpw and probably even better prepared with 100...
                Nothing helped me more than starting to run more days of the week. I laughed the first time I was told to think about 7 days a week; I thought it was somewhere between insane and stupid. Now the only days I take off are by accident. And instead of more injury, I seem to have much, much less. I'm just careful to have lots of easy recovery days. And it's a lot easier to build mileage on more days (obviously). Running 7 days a week, you can do 50 miles a week on an hour a day - with no long run. Add in long run, you're well over 60. Add in a mid-week longish run, and you can hit 70, pretty easily.

SMART Approach

I have averaged and am limited to about 22 miles per week (foot issue from childhood accident) the last several years over 4 days. When training for a half marathon, I usually do 9 miles for my long runs working up to around one 11 mile run 10-12 days before the race. I also do one other mid week longer run of 7-8 miles w/ a bit of quality work. The other two days were easy and some cross training mixed in on the other days. Once you have a strong base and build up gradually and train smart, there is no risk of running more than 25% of your miles in the long run. I train like this year round just adjust the quality work.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Running 7 days a week, you can do 50 miles a week on an hour a day
                    Not at my pace... of course if I were running that much I probably could... I used to run every other day now I'm doing 3 on one off. Baby-steps.
                    mdmccat
                      If you're not training for a marathon I'd say to max out at about 2 hours. If you're training for a marathon then you need some of those 20-22 milers.