Walking a Marathon within Six-Hour Cutoff (Read 143 times)

Stevepf

OK, now I got game (at least a little): Today I race-walked a half marathon in 2:52. Negative split. Though I was able to pick up the pace toward the end I must admit I was starting to tire, with the result form was getting a bit sloppy. A little more than a month to go to my marathon on May 1st. We shall see...

camronwhite66

link spam
      Stevepf

Yes! Completed Providence RI marathon in 5:48, walking all the way. Perseverance really paid off for me.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congratulations! I hope I can run Clofax in 6 hrs.

Yes! Completed Providence RI marathon in 5:48, walking all the way. Perseverance really paid off for me.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Resident Historian

Well done! Great running... walking! 

When I first saw this thread, I tried walking a couple of miles at 14 minute pace -- a hard effort, not one I could sustain for 10 miles, let alone 26.2. I've since seen vidoes of a version racewalking that could work. How much did you practice the techniqu? 

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Running Problem

Problem Child

Congratulations. I don’t think I could tolerate walking 26 miles.  Seriously.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Stevepf

Well done! Great running... walking! 

When I first saw this thread, I tried walking a couple of miles at 14 minute pace -- a hard effort, not one I could sustain for 10 miles, let alone 26.2. I've since seen vidoes of a version racewalking that could work. How much did you practice the techniqu? 

About a month. I found that from day one, despite poor technique, the shift to race-walking immediately knocked about 45 seconds off my pace relative to regular walking. That's when I realized a sub-6 was possible.

But on race day I made a last-minute decision to just do normal walking, because I found the energy demand of race-walking to be quite a bit higher, and I doubted I could sustain that for 26.2. Turned out to be the right decision.