Louisville Marathon - short report (Read 645 times)

I made myself look silly with a goal of 3:20 and a finish time of 3:35:31 (8:13). I honestly thought I was good for 3:25-3:28 at the worst. Live and learn. There is a good side however. I got the AD win and we had a fantastic time. Also, it's a BQ for 2008/2009 by over 10 minutes. My biggest downfall was not drinking soon enough and not eating any of my gel. Such a rookie mistake, by a 15 marathon veteran. I need to wear the dunce cap. Numbers: I started out keeping my HR around 140-144 which is about 78% MHR. I was getting 7:27-7:36 splits from this and I hit the 13.1 point @ 1:38:38 (7:31). I felt great. At about 18, I started to weaken and had to bump my HR up to maybe 148-150 to stay around 7:40-7:50. I continued to fade and by 20 I was going into survival mode. I hit the 21 mile mark at 2:44:18 (7:49) and it was a struggle to keep the miles in the 9:00's from there on. My max HR was 155, average was 140. The results are posted and as I said, I was 1/21 in my AD and 69/362 OA. With winning the AD and an easy BQ, I hate to pout too much. I do think I was trained for a better showing but I didn't run a smart race.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

No mystery as to how you came to be so fast, you've set some pretty high expectations for yourself. GREAT JOB (even if it's not great enough.)
      Such a rookie mistake, by a 15 marathon veteran. I need to wear the dunce cap.
      Shows what a beast this thing can be, even after 15 it might still have some lessons to teach about the race and yourself. Before converting that pout to a burning insatiable drive to improve, do take a moment to savor your accomplishment. Then you can put on your bunny suit and drive those Philadelphians like rented mules. Smile

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

In my first marathon a few weeks ago, I met a guy who was running his 49th marathon and was paying the price of going out way to fast. I don't think any of us are immune to making mistakes - rookie or not. Congrats on the BQ! That's fantastic - even if you did have a more difficult goal set for yourself! Have fun in Boston!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Fantastic effort, Raymond. Congrats on the AD win and BQ time...

Another Passion

From one who's goal is to simply FINISH his first marathon in April, I say, WAY TO FREAKIN' GO, RAYMOND! Congratulations on the AD win and an awesome finish, 15 marathons or not! Wink

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Thank you gang. I've stopped pouting and I'm appreciating the fact that I can do what I do at 55 years of age. I do plan to be like a fine wine though, and get better with age. Get this though: my happiest memories of the race will be the goody bags I put together for my wife and her best friend. They are my cheerleading staff! I got them each a shirt with "Marathon Team" on the front and 26.2 on the back and had their names embroirded on them. I also got them a trophy of a cheerleader (engraved of course), and earrings and a key chain that said 26.2. They loved it. I was a hero. For a few race and cheerleader pics, go here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/63951458@N00/tags/lville07/

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Thank you gang. I've stopped pouting and I'm appreciating the fact that I can do what I do at 55 years of age. I do plan to be like a fine wine though, and get better with age. Get this though: my happiest memories of the race will be the goody bags I put together for my wife and her best friend. They are my cheerleading staff! I got them each a shirt with "Marathon Team" on the front and 26.2 on the back and had their names embroirded on them. I also got them a trophy of a cheerleader (engraved of course), and earrings and a key chain that said 26.2. They loved it. I was a hero. For a few race and cheerleader pics, go here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/63951458@N00/tags/lville07/
                Congrats, Raymond - great race and you treated your team with real class - fine wine? well on your way Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

Think Whirled Peas

Get this though: my happiest memories of the race will be the goody bags I put together for my wife and her best friend. They are my cheerleading staff! I got them each a shirt with "Marathon Team" on the front and 26.2 on the back and had their names embroirded on them. I also got them a trophy of a cheerleader (engraved of course), and earrings and a key chain that said 26.2. They loved it. I was a hero.
                  Firstly, congratulations on a great race, even if it didn't meet your original goals. Secondly, I am unabashedly stealing your idea mentioned above and using it while I train for my first marathon next year! Seriously, that is a really cool, and thoughtful idea. I forget sometimes that running does take away from the others in my life, and that I need to give back to them as much as they give to me by letting me RUN! Thanks for the idea! Sincerely, The idea Thief Q Smile

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

That really is an awesome idea ... hmmm ... what to get my husband ?? Green, niiiice race --- no. 1 in your AD and a BQ ... I think that's pretty damn sweet!!
                    2009: BQ?
                      Firstly, congratulations on a great race, even if it didn't meet your original goals. Secondly, I am unabashedly stealing your idea mentioned above and using it while I train for my first marathon next year! Seriously, that is a really cool, and thoughtful idea. I forget sometimes that running does take away from the others in my life, and that I need to give back to them as much as they give to me by letting me RUN! Thanks for the idea! Sincerely, The idea Thief Q Smile
                      No problem! FWIW, I bought everything online at very reasonable proces. The trophies came from Trophydepot.com, the shirts and key chains from Funnerrunner.com (a very cool place), and the earrings from Goforitsports.com.