2 overuse injuries in 6 months... (Read 112 times)

I’m a pretty avid runner and this past fall I was using a half marathon running plan when I developed knee pain on my left side. It was diagnosed by my doctor as IT band syndrome and by my physical therapist as an LCL sprain (I side with the doctor). In any case, I rested from mid December - early March and did lots of PT, stretching and foam rolling. I took a few weeks to ease back into running, got some new shoes from Fleet Feet after being properly fitted, then followed a 5K running plan for a race coming up on May 22. This past Wednesday after a rest day from running I noticed pain in my right foot on the outside edge and tender to the touch on the top and when flexing my pinky toe. It randomly came up in the middle of the day when I got up from my desk and honestly felt like it came out of the blue (I did do leg day at the gym earlier that day but, but I hadn’t run since Monday night). I just went to the doctor today and she said it’s probably tendinitis from overuse and to take a week off before I even try running again. I guess there goes my race...

At this point I’m feeling pretty frustrated but clearly 2 overuse injuries in 6 months is something I’m causing. I don’t feel like I’m pushing too hard or doing too much...but maybe I am and just can’t see it. I go to the gym for weight training three days a week and I’ve been following this running plan to the letter: http://halhigdon.com/training/50935/5K-Advanced-Training-Program

Am I likely trying to do too much? Is it feasible that I overcompensated from the IT band and therefore hurt the opposite foot? Is it nutrition based or am I missing some important vitamin or something? Should I see another type of doctor other than my primary care physician? I want to be sensible about this and figure out what’s really going on so I can get back on track. Any advice or pro tips from previous experiences would be appreciated!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Looking at the plan you are following won't necessarily tell us anything. A lot in running is about pace. Do you log your runs here on RA? If you do, making your log public will let us see what you are doing.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I just added in the past month’s worth. I think it’s public now. Unfortunately I don’t think the problem is that I’m too fast Sad

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I would generally take the word of a PT over a Doctor when it comes to running injuries. It might just be a niggle which is common when training for a race.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Half Crazy K 2.0

I just added in the past month’s worth. I think it’s public now. Unfortunately I don’t think the problem is that I’m too fast Sad

Fast is a relative term. Have you done any races in the last year or so? Basically, if you did the half in 2 hours, you are likely running too fast for you.

I agree with the others that a general doctor likely will say rest.

The advanced plan could be more quality work than you can handle at this point.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

How many miles do you put on your running shoes before you replace them?  I find knee pain, especially, is an indicator that my shoes are due for replacement.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

mikeymike

I would generally take the word of a PT over a Doctor when it comes to running injuries. It might just be a niggle which is common when training for a race.

I tend to agree with this. Niggles are not injuries. If something started hurting on Wednesday and wasn't preventing me from walking around I'm not sure I'd have enough data to call it an injury yet, let alone engage the healthcare system.

In my experience doctors are fairly useless with regard to running injuries unless it's something acute like a break or a tear.

And for comparison I don't think I've had fewer than 2 running injuries at any given time since about 2014. Most are minor and can be managed, some less so.

Runners run

Gotcha. This is really helpful. I think I panicked because my knee injury took me out for so long so I thought going to the doctor right away would help diminish recovery time. So assuming it’s just an annoyance then, think it’s sensible to give it a couple days then try getting back into it?

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I have to agree that you're running too fast, and that too many of your runs are workouts rather than easy runs.  Given the 5K you did recently, you should be running your easy runs (most of your runs) at 10:40-11:15.  Running too fast most of the time is a quick route to injury.