Wearable biosensor detects lactate levels (Read 120 times)

running metalhead

I just read it in Phys.org:

It is basically a biosensor that can be implanted on the skin and like a temporary tatoo and which is able to detect latcate levels in the sweat.

The text states that it could be used to detect when an athlete is going to bonk, but I would say that it could also be used as a cheap way to test your lactate threshold while training (if the sensors are actually cheap). Heck they could maybe make them ANT+ compatible.

Maybe Eric should start writing some code for that Smile

I think it's pretty cool. Where can I sign up for a beta test?

Voila le Articule:

http://phys.org/news/2013-07-human-biosensor-athletes-wall.html#nwlt

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
    - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
    - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
    - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
    - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
    - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

That's pretty cool, assuming it works (accurately).

bhearn

Sign me up.

Feeling the growl again

At least in the marathon context, lactate levels have next to nothing to do with bonking.  I'd be curious on there data as to the response time of the sensor (lactate levels change rapidly, if it takes minutes to indicate change it is next to useless).  Haven't read link yet though, will with more time.  Hope for data correlating sweat with blood lactate levels.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Cool, but hitting the wall and hitting Lactate threshold are two different things aren't they?

MTA Spaniel beat me to the question

bhearn

Yeah, I didn't get why it would be useful for detecting impending bonks. Someone was confusing lactate with glucose? Now that would also be useful to have a real-time readout for. I guess there are implants for diabetics that do that.

I thought it would be most useful to know if you're truly training at or near your Lactate threshold. The whole bonk thing seems to be a misuse. Ah, time will tell if this is for real or not.

I have limited knowledge (other than talking to a coach before, during, and after I had my lactate threshold test).  However, based on my knowledge, it seems like this measurement would be inferior to other measurements available.

As I understand it, a given lactate level (ie. 2.4596) doesn't have too much meaning, though, unless you chart it out and know where your lactate level becomes non-linear.

Once you know where the point of inflection is, then you can determine, recognize, and train to your lactate threshold.

A given lactate level may or may not tell anybody anything.

As Spaniel mentioned, the timing delay would matter significanty, as a relatively minor change in HR or effort would lead to a dramatic change to the lactate level when operating at (or slightly above) your lactate threshold.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I think the best use of the sensor it will make it easier to do quick studies on the performance  vs lactate levels.  I am sure they will beadle to calculate the response time of the sensor and factor it into their experiments.   It might not let you change your workout while your doing your workout but it may give you some data that will help you improve your workout in the future.

Orion Goals: 5k 18:30 10K 38:00 Marathon 3:10

Feeling the growl again

Read the link.  Looks to be the all-too-typical example of a reporter trying to write a story about something they don't understand and make it more exciting than it really is.  Lactate means diddly to a marathoner in knowing if they are going to bonk.

It appears one needs access to the original article for technical details, I think I can access it from work so I will look.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

bhearn

Lactate means diddly to a marathoner in knowing if they are going to bonk.

Yeah, but it could still be useful to a marathoner, even if it's not very responsive. If you know from previous experience what your lactate inflection point is, then you can try to keep it slightly below that, at constant effort.

For workouts, yeah, much more useful if it responds rapidly.

Feeling the growl again

Yeah, but it could still be useful to a marathoner, even if it's not very responsive. If you know from previous experience what your lactate inflection point is, then you can try to keep it slightly below that, at constant effort.

For workouts, yeah, much more useful if it responds rapidly.

For the marathon, my guess is (without seeing more detailed data I have not seen in a long time) that you will be so far below your max aerobic effort that it won't be meaningful.  Lactate buildup is non-linear; there will be a wide range of pace where you will essentially have about the same lactate reading.  Like I say, I'd need to review data, but I think MP falls in that range.

bhearn

Good point.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Can somebody please explain to me exactly how this could be even remotely helpful?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Can somebody please explain to me exactly how this could be even remotely helpful?

Maybe garmin will make one.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.