Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Heh - I recognize the runner to your right!

I am the woman to the viewer's far left in this photo.  I am short. With short leg even after controlling for my lack of height.  I am mostly torso.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

piwi hamming it up for the cameras and still matching an elite masters runner!

https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20850534/a-top-boston-master-is-a-survivor/

Edit:  This really puts how talented darkwave is into perspective

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I have very short legs, at least in my mind. I guess you would measure from hip bone to ankle bone ?

I don't really like the look of short shorts on me either. So that probably makes my legs look even shorter.

Exhibit A

Even the familiar looking Mrs Glasson has longer legs than you.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20850534/a-top-boston-master-is-a-survivor/

That's so impressive.  What a legend.

It's really interesting how many of the better Masters runners  are actually "adult-onset" runners as Darkwave describes it.  In a lot of cases it's just because they never got into it at school and then some fluke event caused them to get into it later.  Also maybe it helps that means they had less time to get injured and/or sick of it!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Darkwave you look fine, in proportion 

Mikey if I was wearing ahem..Rachel's running shorts my legs would look longer but probably not a good look for me 

That photo was halfway in Melbourne marathon. We just went through the half in 1.27. I saw a video of us at that point and we looked so slow 🐌

She was pacing me but gapped me at the end by a minute.

Asking for a friend....how much time would Vaporflys save in a 10k ?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm assuming that you mean "about half as talented as Rachelara" - in which case I agree completely Smile    She was and is a special athlete.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I'm assuming that you mean "about half as talented as Rachelara" - in which case I agree completely Smile    She was and is a special athlete.

Ha, I would disagree that the ratio is half

2024 Races:

I agree with Steve, Darkwave is seriously talented as a runner.

My legs are recovered after a couple of slow days on gravel and sand. I'm trying to adjust my running from early to.later in the day to ready me for my 6pm half marathon in 10 days.

zebano

Piwi  you look rather proportional there. I didn't realize you have a jersey that says Piwi Kiwi! Is that a club? Also great photo in general way to play it up for the camera.

I second the DW is an excellent athlete but so are most of the rest of you.

I've a 30" inseam at 69" tall. I'm not sure where that leaves me on the torso to leg length spectrum but I've also felt I have shorter legs.

I also managed a 45 minute run with only minor discomfort before and after. I think my hundreds of heel drops are paying off but I've also got a night splint on the way and I'm taking today off as a precaution.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Question for the class: When you're running downhill do you make contact with the ground closer to your heel or midfoot? And does that change according to the grade of said hill?

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

zebano

Question for the class: When you're running downhill do you make contact with the ground closer to your heel or midfoot? And does that change according to the grade of said hill?

midfoot and yes, if it gets too steep I become a wuss who is scared of leaning into the hill and start heel striking. I think the midfoot and leaning forward part is why I run downhill better than most runners I know.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The physics alone would dictate you strike further back in your foot than your normal running stance. The opposite is true going uphill: you'll be more forward.

That's all on a relative basis. As to where exactly you strike on an absolute basis, it's based on your own mechanics.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Zebano I guess we are all our worst own critics 

I just used a permanent marker pen to scribble my forum user name onto my singlet. Yes I was definitely enjoying the day. I could hear Rachel sigh every time I did something silly ðŸĪŠ

I agree with Zebano on running downhill.

Yesterday I did my steep hill run. Running downhill is more comfortable when you open your stride up and " go for it ".

You then land midfoot as opposed to leaning back and heel striking.

The main problem is been able to keep that extreme fast fully open stride going 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

The few times I run downhill I definitely strike closer to the heel.  I generally don't enjoy downhill, I'm not sure what my cutoff is for enjoyable grade, to smashing my quads.

I tried the Endorphin Pros last night in a workout at a mixture of HMP and MP.  They are great and no lingering effects this morning.  My paces generally creep up no matter what the shoes but it did feel like I was flying in these.  I aimed for HMP of 4:10-15 and some intervals crept under 4:00...I'm okay with the shoes giving me 10 seconds per km though!

On the Running Rogue podcast yesterday he was talking about the long run and one thing he said was he recommends 4-6 of 20-22 miles (32-36km).  4 for a first timer.  Looking at my schedule, I have 6 scheduled with the slightly shorter ones on the hills.  Does this tie in with those of you with more experience?  So far all of my 32km+ runs include some quality so technically I won't have done a lot of work training my body to use fat.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Darkwave - as many others have said, don't sell yourself short!  You have really top performances over a massive range, from the mile up to the marathon.

Keen - Zebano is bang on.  Like JMac said, the physics dictate that you will tend to heel strike more going downhill.  However, good downhill runners will tend to lean into the hill and go with it, which will generally offset a lot of this.  Of course, if it's a really steep hill you're kinda forced into being more upright purely for safety's sake.

Steve - good to hear the Endorphins went well.  I'm not sure about 10 seconds/km but certainly something like 5 seconds/km seemed about right for the Vaporfly for me.  On your long run question, that sounds about right to me.  I had 4 runs of between 32-36km for the first marathon (one with a big chunk of race pace effort).  At that stage I was still pretty new to running and my mileage was a bit below where yours has been over the last little while though.  I did a few more than that last year but that was partly more training and partly race deferrals.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"