Marine Corps Marathon Lottery opened today (Read 108 times)

Lottery remains open until March 29th.

I'm in the lottery, anyone else?

Any advice or recommendations for the run?

Julia1971

Good luck with the lottery!  Any idea what the acceptance rate is?

I ran in 2014 but don't see myself running it again since it's the week before the New York City Marathon.  I cheer at Mile 24ish instead.  "You got this!"  (Cowbell.)  "Lookin' good, runner!"  (More cowbell.)  "Almost there!"  (More cowbell!)  Yeah, I'm her.  Smile

As far as advice, I'd definitely recommend studying the course if you're not from the area.  Heck, even if you are!  There are challenging climbs at the beginning and going over the 14th Street Bridge.  And, there really aren't any downhills, so there aren't a lot of places to mentally check out and just glide.  The small hill leading to the Iwo Jima Marine Memorial at the end...  You won't believe how hard it feels and it'll be something you can talk about with anyone who's done the race.  Also, since it's The People's Marathon, there aren't corrals which means, if you're fast, line up aggressively.  On the positive side, the Marines will definitely inspire you!  They look you in the eye and encourage you to keep going.  (I usually run pass a water stop or two before the race and they are ready with cups stacked layer upon layer upon layer.)  The expo and post-race festivities are also pretty good.

Oh no, I think I've made myself want to run it again...

I am Theia

Hi there.  Good luck with the lottery, dpar!  I am doing the MCM 17.75K tomorrow.  Assuming I finish (damn you, wonky knee!), I will be doing my first MCM on my birthday later this year.  I'm planning ahead and looking at hotels on the race website.  They are listed in distance from the expo, not the start/finish.  I'd rather be closer to the start/finish area.  I'm not as worried about travel time on my way to the expo, but it's definitely critical on race day!  Anyone know which hotels are closest to the actual race?  https://compass.onpeak.com/e/TMPJB1/0#hotels

Hi there.  Good luck with the lottery, dpar!  I am doing the MCM 17.75K tomorrow.  Assuming I finish (damn you, wonky knee!), I will be doing my first MCM on my birthday later this year.  I'm planning ahead and looking at hotels on the race website.  They are listed in distance from the expo, not the start/finish.  I'd rather be closer to the start/finish area.  I'm not as worried about travel time on my way to the expo, but it's definitely critical on race day!  Anyone know which hotels are closest to the actual race?  https://compass.onpeak.com/e/TMPJB1/0#hotels

When I ran it I stayed in the Marriott Courtyard in Crystal City and took the shuttle bus to the start.  It worked out great.  The bus ride over is not something to be missed!  Good luck with your race tomorrow.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

I am Theia

Thank you!

Good Luck. My Bday is the 10/22! Hopefully I'll be running that weekend!

I'm staying at Courtyard Arlington Rosslyn .

1533 Clarendon Boulevard

This hotel showed a $650 a bight charge. Yikes!! But I booked it for 25,000 Mariott points. Close to one of their bus shuttles and very close anyway.

Did you guys get in?

I am Theia

Dpar, no way! My bday is 10/22 also!!!

I'm in for MCM by virtue of finishing the 17.75k last weekend. Wheeee!!!

runsinskirts , I did get in Yea!

I am Theia, Great we share a Bday and a marathon. Believe it or not I was born on my grandma's birthday and then a few years later my cousin was born 10/22 also!

hog4life

I'll be running it for the first time. I'm also going on a charity bib, and I'm sitting at 35% of my goal already.

I'll be running it for the first time. I'm also going on a charity bib, and I'm sitting at 35% of my goal already.

I ran it with a charity bib as my first marathon.  Post a link to your fundraising site if you have one!

hog4life

I ran it with a charity bib as my first marathon.  Post a link to your fundraising site if you have one!

This is going to be a great memory pushing a special needs kiddo! My picture on the fundraiser page is from the Louisiana Marathon weekend where I pushed that young girl and her service dog for the 10k. I pushed the HM the next day with a different teenaged girl. Thank you!

https://www.crowdrise.com/mitch-tiffany

Woohoo Mitch! I'm running it too!

And dpar my birthday is 10/23, so I'll be almost celebrating.

hog4life

Woohoo Mitch! I'm running it too!

And dpar my birthday is 10/23, so I'll be almost celebrating.

Do you still have my number? We should meet to say hello again.

I am Theia

runsinskirts , I did get in Yea!

I am Theia, Great we share a Bday and a marathon. Believe it or not I was born on my grandma's birthday and then a few years later my cousin was born 10/22 also!

That's crazy!

Mitch, that's awesome.  My favorite 5K ever was when I pushed an athlete in a chair.