The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Blinded by Scientism

Short essay written by John O. McGinnis, the George C. Dix Professor in Constitutional Law at Northwestern University.

Good article, thanks.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Can someone post the science behind this? I know this is the idea out there, but I can't wrap my head around why the non-covid individual is better protected if the covid individual wears a mask and they don't, vs vice-versa. If a mask blocked, let's say 50 percent of particles, why does it matter which direction it's coming/going?

I haven't visited in a while. Are people STILL confused about the purpose of masks?!

They keep stuff from SPREADING, they don't do as well at keeping stuff OUT.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Can someone post the science behind this?

Bob gets to hock a loogie at you.  Who do you want to wear the mask?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

In other fun covid related stuff, there was an article that mentioned the need to wash cloth face masks after use. I saw a twitter discussion where people were admitting to not washing theirs. Ever. 

I think a lot of people are COVID weary now and just put a mask on out of duty whether it’s unwashed/contaminated or not and it’s the same with the folk who wear a disposable/medical mask multiple times. Back in March/April everyone was scared of the unknown and most were able to act like they had OCD. But there’s a different vibe now and the younger generation need to start living their lives again, otherwise there could be a lot of unrest in 2021!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

the lycra sleeves I wear go in the wash everytime we do laundry, like 3x a week. I have 3 in rotation, one is especially for running.

Again, I'm not too worried about being a spreader 'cuz I went through it in late June and thus am not currently harboring contagious demon sperm, but it's CONSIDERATE OF OTHERS to wear one, even if it's just to reduce their anxiety. You know, like covering your genitals and anus with clothes when you go shopping or to church (stupid rules, restricting my konstooshunal liberties!)

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Who do I "want" wearing the mask is the not the same as which one protects me more. In this silly example, either person wearing a mask is going to prevent me from breathing it in, which is what we're trying to prevent.

Bob gets to hock a loogie at you.  Who do you want to wear the mask?

Feeling the growl again

Meh.  Trump wore a mask in public a sparse number of times.  Perhaps he wore it in private much more.  To your point, Trump is a public figure.  His value toward the virus is more in convincing the public of a good course of action than in protecting the 50 people in his bubble -- which is statistically insignificant.  Same with Pelosi.  The difference being, her message "Masks are good -- even though I fail at times."  His message "Masks are bullshit.  But I wear one sometimes."  I'm sure you can "objectively" note the difference.

That being said: no prophylactic is perfect.  I'm sure you understand that someone who takes precautions and someone who does not can both catch COVID.  Doesn't mean they are equal.

Warp Drive -- yep.  Good stuff.  Not really sure what is substantively behind it, but I would like to think the extra resources, and slightly lower bar for acceptance, is beneficial to solving this problem.  As SARS never became as deadly, I don't think a direct comparison can be made.  If we spent 1,000% more money on a SARS cure, only to find it whimper to a non-concern, I'm sure people would object to their taxes ill spent.  No?

And if SARS took the same trajectory as COVID, and a "Warp Speed" was not pursued, we could certainly condemn Obama.

Who cares about her "message" versus her actions?  People here mock "dick nose", she goes public in "dick nose".  She illegally gets hair care in a salon without wearing a mask then complains she was "set up".  She's a national figure.  She knows the rules.  She broke them.  I'm willing to call faults on both sides, why aren't you?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

The purpose of a mask is to protect others, not the wearer.  This report doesn't really indicate how effective masks are for this purpose (i.e., the infected 85% wearing masks may have been close to people who were not wearing masks).

The report might indicate that wearing a mask gives a person a false sense of security, so that he gets closer to others than he would have if he were not wearing a mask.

Hold on.  Wearing a mask is now a litmus test for how seriously we take the virus, giving or receiving aside.  Nobody has touched on the fact that someone wearing a mask may put themselves at increased risk due to a false sense of security.  Because there is such a rabid response to masks without considering what the science actually says...because "science"...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'm willing to call faults on both sides, why aren't you?

Let's play it your way.  Let's count every time Pelosi violated CDC prescription.  Now, let's count Trump.

This game will end due to the Slaughter Rule.  I mean, if you're going to be fair about it.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Who cares about her "message" versus her actions?  People here mock "dick nose", she goes public in "dick nose".  She illegally gets hair care in a salon without wearing a mask then complains she was "set up".  She's a national figure.  She knows the rules.  She broke them.  I'm willing to call faults on both sides, why aren't you?

LOL

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Let's play it your way.  Let's count every time Pelosi violated CDC prescription.  Now, let's count Trump.

This game will end due to the Slaughter Rule.  I mean, if you're going to be fair about it.

I don't think the number matters as much as the fact that she flouted the rules.  It gives the crazies the opportunity to say, "See, even the Dems don't think the rules matter!"

Half Crazy K 2.0

I think a lot of people are COVID weary now and just put a mask on out of duty whether it’s unwashed/contaminated or not and it’s the same with the folk who wear a disposable/medical mask multiple times. Back in March/April everyone was scared of the unknown and most were able to act like they had OCD. But there’s a different vibe now and the younger generation need to start living their lives again, otherwise there could be a lot of unrest in 2021!

I'm in my mid 40s. From what I see on FB, my age group is over this. My high school planned a get together for August. It was canceclled not due to increasing cases but the remains of a hurricane coming through (was supposed to at least be on the outdoor patio of a bar). I went to HS in the hardest hit county in my state, a good number of people still live there. People are also travelling, going to bars, etc.

With regards to reusing disposable masks, it's still a thing. PPE is still not available at the same levels as pre-pandemic.

Hold on.  Wearing a mask is now a litmus test for how seriously we take the virus, giving or receiving aside.  Nobody has touched on the fact that someone wearing a mask may put themselves at increased risk due to a false sense of security.  Because there is such a rabid response to masks without considering what the science actually says...because "science"...

That "increased risk due to false sense of security" is a real thing. There are ignorants around me that think it's perfectly fine to go about business as usual, including standing right next to people, bringing the WHOLE FAMILY OF 6+ to go shopping as an outing, hugging and shaking hands, etc because they have a piece of cloth on their face. I get the strangest looks when I start moving away from someone who comes up and leans over my shoulder in the checkout line; they're probably thinking "but I have a mask on, we're all safe and immortal now, this guy must be crazy".

How the USA remains a world power with the citizenry it has is remarkable.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Running Problem

Problem Child

It has been a litmus year for not only how serious you take the virus, but also who you support politically in some places. Mask = Joe Biden. No mask/dick nose = Donald Trump.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

I don't think the number matters as much as the fact that she flouted the rules.  It gives the crazies the opportunity to say, "See, even the Dems don't think the rules matter!"

They didn’t matter to my state Governor when he waltzed through the Unemployment offices and then decided to quarantine (not at his place of residence, but at the Governor’s mansion 500 miles away) all while not wearing a mask and making others wear it.  His office just had their second positive test and the guy heading up COVID 19 for the State ‘task force’ or whatever it is called just got it as well. So yeah, the rules don’t apply to the Democrats who are passing the laws to wear masks, quarantine at home, and socially distance themselves from others to prevent the spread of COVID 19. I’m doing my part they don’t have to do theirs.

oh and I’m apparently one of those ‘crazies’ who points out the leadership not wearing their masks and it’s uncommon for me to need to point out the President’s misdoings.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22