Question about training schedule this week (Read 561 times)

Giants Fan

I have a question regarding my schedule this week. My schedule this week is: Tues: Around 6 mile workout including 8 hills Wed: Easy recovery day 5 miles Thurs: 8 miles Fri: 5 miles Sat: --supposed to do 3-4 Sun: 16 miles However, this Sat. I entered a 5 mile race with my sister-in-law. I was thinking of only altering Fri.'s workout to 3 miles. Any suggestions? Am I going to die out there on Sunday trying to do 16 miler after a 5 mile race the day before? Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW the schedule is because I'm training for a full on Sept. 28th. Thanks CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

You'll ruin your knees!

With your base, I don't see why you need to worry about it. If you are really going to race the 5 miler on Sat, you could use Fri as a rest day. If you are going to run it easy with your SIL, back down to the 3-4 Sat workout on Friday, run with SIL on Sat and do the 16 miler as scheduled on Sun. Don't forget to hydrate...not sure how warm it is where you are, but just be careful not to get dehydrated. Good luck, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

just use Friday as a Rest Day. You have enough miles that week to rest. Cut the Sunday run down to 5-8 recovery miles Logan

PR's
        800: 2:38|1600: 5:18|3200: 11:55|3 mile:19:07

A Saucy Wench

I've run long the day after a race. Sometimes it feels good, sometimes it doesnt. I always plan to play it by ear. After one of my 10K's I shuffled out an easy 6 and called it a day. After my next 10K (and PR) I had the easiest 16 I have ever had. I just felt good. I ran a little slower than normal the first 10 miles but by the end I was at normal pace. Given that your race + warmup will probably take you well over your planned mileage and you still have eons of time til your marathon, there is no need to feel pressure to meet any mileage plan this week. Run the race, go out sunday, run 3-4 miles easy and decide from there what you have in you to do that day.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7