2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

From the Internet.

DW nice racing, congrats on the AG place and I love the adventure/quick day trip aspect! Totally something I'd do.

CK re: mileage for half vs full, lol that was me training for the mile in December/January (but really keeping the mileage up for marathon training).

Good weeks all around!

Botswana cutoff - I would eat my hat if it's 3 minutes. I'm guessing closer to a minute.

From the Internet.

Late recap of last week - 70.3 miles

Tuesday - 12 miles, 8:16 pace

Wednesday - club track, 8.4 miles total with 6x1000 - already mentioned a few pages back, averaged right around/under 3:50. By the time I'm ready to race a 5K I want that first sub-20 to be a lock!!

Friday - long run with a friend on the Boston Marathon course, start line into Newton since neither of us had big obligations for the day and could play musical cars to get from one end to the other. Great day for a run, a fun adventure! 18 miles, 8:03 average on my watch/8 flat on his. A mango milkshake and tacos after, aww yiss.

Sunday - 10 miles, planned 3 miles marathon pace, 2 half marathon, 1 faster with 1 minute jog in between. Actual workout paces 7:33, 7:32, 7:30; 6:55, 6:53; 6:48. Felt a little flat at the beginning, then hammered a bit too fast on the should-have-been-HMP miles after my legs woke up.

Easy ~7-7.5 milers on M, Th, Sa.

8 weeks to race day! First 20 of the cycle coming up this week.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Lauren - That's exactly my motivation for keeping up relatively high mileage for a half - I'm feeding this training cycle into either a marathon or ultra marathon cycle next, and having a 70mpw base going into either will serve me much better than 55mpw would.
        Nice LR, and with your mileage and that 1k repeat workout I'd surprised if you didn't go sub-20.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Matt yeah...September 2020. I have some camping trips I'd like to not sleep through. Plus the whole "marathon training" thing is my life right now.

lauren IMPRESSIVE. I think I've hit 70 miles once or twice. Probably when I trained for Chicago. As for being excited about the first 20 miler..ew. I'm so over the 20 mile run. It's been a while since I've done one, but at an 8:30 pace that's almost 3 hours just running. AT an 8:00 pace it's 2:40. Long day. The musical cars sounds good.

dwave yeah the speculation reminds me of trying to predict who will become President two years early. "So and so has a fifty point lead" and they drop out. Maybe a lot of people apply because they ran through the ice storm and last year was nicer so they want a good running. Maybe  marathons all over got really hard and people didn't qualify by as much. The best part about CIM is I can worry speculate for about 9 months before actually knowing. It's going to be excellent. I almost wish they had some kind of live tracker where you put your finish time in and it updates with how much faster you must be to get in. Maybe in another century. Off to read the story.

I just got an email to "save $200 off Regular Registration for 2020 Bigfoot 200." I think max has signed me up for spam emails again.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR

Hey to everyone...been a while.  I enjoyed the banter a while back about difficulty finding clothes (in high school, there was a period of time where my pants size was 29 (waist) x 36 (inseam).  Thankfully, I got shorter and fatter.  Beyond that, meetings for the fall semester began last week, and classes start tomorrow.  As usual, I'm not ready, hahaha...

Last week for me...

M:  Rest

T:  Rest (the previous Sunday was my first 22-miler in this cycle, so I took an extra day of recovery)

W:  8.8M @ 8:32

T:  7.6M w/4.1M tempo (7:19...an improvement but still sluggish)

F:  7.2M @ 8:28

S:  7.2M @ 8:24

S:  26.2M @ 9:07

Total:  57.  I'm liking how the McMillan plan is going thus far...

Rovatti - Where all did you go on the Alaskan cruise? Did you get off the ship to hike any glaciers or anything?

We took a v short hike at the Mendenhall glacier (nearJuneau) and a kayak trip at Icy Point....also stopped at Victoria and Ketchikan. It was a huge cruise ship (4200 passengers, 1200 crew)... like a shopping mall out at sea, or a big Vegas hotel, or an "all-inclusive" in the Caribbean.... too much food and booze...but an efficient way to vacation with extended family (including elderly parents)...and you can run on the TM and watch for whales at the same time.

mattw4jc

and you can run on the TM and watch for whales at the same time.

Other treadmill users were that big?

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

*ba-dum tish*

Rovatti - Sounds like a great time! Ketchikan is definitely on the list of places I'd like to visit in Alaska. All my time up there has been spent on the Kenai Peninsula.

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

You ever been on a cruise with an "all you can eat" buffet?

Random question: How would the group of "not coaches" work hills into a marathon cycle? Hanson's doesn't, to my knowledge, include them in their workouts or training cycle specifically. My runs aren't flat by any means however it's been a while since I've run CIM and while the hills haven't ever been a problem, I'm wondering if there is a way to improve on them. Part of me is thinking about replacing some of the 1-2 mile repeats at M pace with some 1/4 mile hill repeats with a "jog down the hill to the start then repeat" recovery. good idea? Stick to the plan? I mean...I ran a 3:13 off Hanson's at CIM 2016 without specifically targeting hills soooooo…..

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

You ever been on a cruise with an "all you can eat" buffet?

Random question: How would the group of "not coaches" work hills into a marathon cycle? Hanson's doesn't, to my knowledge, include them in their workouts or training cycle specifically. My runs aren't flat by any means however it's been a while since I've run CIM and while the hills haven't ever been a problem, I'm wondering if there is a way to improve on them. Part of me is thinking about replacing some of the 1-2 mile repeats at M pace with some 1/4 mile hill repeats with a "jog down the hill to the start then repeat" recovery. good idea? Stick to the plan? I mean...I ran a 3:13 off Hanson's at CIM 2016 without specifically targeting hills soooooo…..

Stick to the plan.

Hill repeats are NOT about getting better at running hills.  Hill repeats are about promoting certain muscular and physiologic changes that assist all of your running, hilly and flat.  They are best done very early in your cycle, before you get into heavy training.  Hence why I did about a month dedicated to hill repeats BEFORE I started my training cycle for my FLAT marathon.

Doing some of your long runs and MP workouts on rolling hills is a very good idea for CIM, and will be much more beneficial than hill repeats.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Good to know. I always thought hill repeats were a personal preference. I can probably find some rolling hills along with some flat spots.

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

No hills in Michigan for Hanson’s to run hill repeats on!

I’m setting in on the flats being the cause of my issues on Sunday.  I got lucky with the vazee I wore in Va beach and didn’t flame out until the end there (but my glute seized up the second I stopped running at that one).  This time it was 1440s and I was in a bad way by half.  I had a bit of the pain yesterday in the morning, but after the first half mile transect it had loosened up and hasn’t been an issue since.

People saw me hobbling in at mile 20 and gave me some mystery thing to put on my problem spots.  Probably CBD oil or some shot. Seemed to work on my quad.  Needed to put some on my ass.  Might have broken 4.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Announcer from the youtube live stream of UTMB: "Everyone in the US is at least pretending to work while they watch the UTMB."  

ETA: Courtney Dauwalter is currently the 2nd place female, Kaci Lickteig is 4th. The current leader (Yao Miao) is doing UTMB as her first 100 and is on 22-23 hour pace, so we'll see how that goes for her.

Announcer:" Courtney is sporting those long shorts that looks like she's on the basketball court. It is what it is..."

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

I really hope Tim T comes in first overall.

I'm also a big fan of the Pixie Ninja. I should have taken the moment I had and asked her for a photo with max and pj but, I passed. I guess someone here will have to do that race and invite me to come along for another opportunity.

Zach Miller...I think he red lines too much. Goes out and pushes himself WAY too hard and just suffers the whole time for no necessary reason.

Tim Hayden and Andrew Miller (didn't he win Western States in 2017) might make a good pack if they can get together.

https://utmbmontblanc.com/en/live/utmb

Over in CCC...Amanda Basham. Seems like a nice girl and also like she could push through some stuff. She dropped out of Western States and I saw her jogging around foresthill. I think her pacer was Sally (I fangirled HARD on her internally and think I held it together) McRae. Stehpanie Howe Violette....yeah that's some serious skill chasing you down Amanda. good job to those two women...as well as anyone else out there. 

VDOT 53.37 

So NB finally launched a carbon spring blade shoe... hyping it for the 5th ave mile. Limited availability and $200.

I'm curious to try it, but not curious enough to buy.