Year-Round Training Plan (Read 96 times)

astrodanzz

I've been running fairly seriously for the past two years and just completed my second marathon (Berlin!).  It was a great event and I was happy with my time (3:21), and at this point I'm looking to attempt to become more disciplined and methodical throughout the year.  To this end, I know specific targets need to vary throughout the year to maximize all-around fitness, but have struggled to find a definitive plan outlining how to go about this.  I do strength training, but in terms of how to mix up my running schedule throughout the year, I'm not exactly clear about how to do this.

Tentatively, over the next 12 months I'm envisioning 3 months post-marathon mid-range mileage (while the weather is decent), 2 months low-mileage/offseason, 3 months pre-marathon mid-range mileage, 4 months high-intensity marathon training.

Any guidance on how to flesh out a more specific plan to maximize overall running fitness?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

One thing you could do is to build a framework for your running/training schedule using other, shorter races.  Maybe a spring half marathon interspersed with 10ks and 5ks. Some of the shorter races can be speed work in your build for the marathon.  Then, most of your other running should probably be easy base-building work. A race each month can help you gauge your progress at various distances and paces, and can provide plenty of motivation as well.

Congrats on your Berlin performance!

astrodanzz

Thank you.  I guess I am looking for guidance in the specifics of a plan.  I was thinking of focusing on shorter distances (5K/10K) until the winter and then early spring go 10K/half marathon before ramping it up again.  Where I'm struggling is developing a concrete training plan.  Other than simply running shorter distances at a faster pace, what should I be doing differently to maximize overall running fitness?  I do speed work and some tempo runs when I'm training for a marathon anyway, but I always here that things need to be different outside of the marathon, so what should I be doing differently in the distinct phases of the year?  To take the "next step," how much mileage should I be running throughout the year and even in the "offseason?"  I want to have a clear plan that is well-reasoned and backed by research, or at least has the empirical support of what advanced runners have found.

running metalhead

Look no further, this is what you need:

[Pfizinger] Advanced Marathoning

[Pfizinger] Road Racing for the Serious Runner

HINT: You can get both second hand at eBay for 2-5 Euros   (Deutscher?)

These books have been the standard for quite some time and most people here in this forum are familiar with them.

The contain all what you will need in your life as a road runner: what every training does, what to target for each distance and all the information that you will need to create your own training plans.

The first is marathon specific, but the second one covers all distances from 5k to the marathon and cross-country events.

BTW, 3:21??? well, if you did this training "unseriously" you may be up to a sub 3:00 marathon with a good plan!!

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
          - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
          - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
          - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
          - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
          - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

astrodanzz

Great, thank you.  I will pick those up.  It's interesting you mention the 3-hour mark.  That's sort of a lifetime goal that I hope I can make, but recognize may just be out of reach.  I certainly trained hard for this race (had a period of 8 weeks where I was at about 40-50 miles/week and had been doing running beforehand) and it was my biggest priority outside of family and work, but just about everyone who runs a successful marathon in that time range is in a similar situation and doing as much.  I know to join the ranks of anything higher I need focus throughout the year, and it sounds like these books will help.  There is a world and then maybe a few more words between a 3:21 guy and a 3-hour guy.

P.S. Ich bin (vielleicht leider) kein Deutscher.  I'm from the states, but just enjoy spending my time in Germany.

Half Fanatic #846

Thanks for the links!

I ordered a newer book on the site titled  "Faster Road Racing - from the 5K to Half Marathon"  by Pfizinger (pub. 2014).

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!