Question About Preventing Knee Injury (Read 522 times)

Speediest Slug There Is!

Hi, I'm a brand new runner with a question. I have bad knees. I had arthroscopic surgery on each one when I was in high school (we're talking 1999-2000). I can't provide the exact diagnosis, but basically I had excess cartilage that had to be cut out because it was causing my joints to swell. I can basically use them just fine, but in certain weather conditions, or when putting lots of stress on them, or sometimes for no reason at all the pain flares up or my knees will go weak and give out. Since I've had the corrective surgery, the pain itself seems relatively harmless and usually I treat the pain by doing some leg-strengthening exercises--this also corrects the problem I have with it going out. I am aware of what a high-impact sport running is, especially on the knees, and as a new runner I wish to do everything I can to avoid knee trouble. So far I haven't had any significant problems or pain, but in the last week, as I've stopping running/walking intervals and started running nonstop, my left kneecap is starting to twitch and ache after every workout -- i's way of saying, ''Hey, be careful with me!'' After yesterday's run I had to walk down the stairs sideways (going down stairs is the worst.) The good news is, I think only the left knee is at risk--the other one is holding up just fine. So I'm trying to determine how to avoid knee injury or pain in the first place. I've started with the strength training, which always seems to help. But I also have a knee brace I was given by my surgeon back in the day that's supposed to hold my kneecap in place. Is it possible to run while wearing a knee brace? Can it prevent injury? Are only certain types of knee braces advisable? The one I have was expensive and made to fit my particular knee... 8 years ago. I'm not sure if I should invest in a new one or try out the old one first to see if that's effective. Any advice anyone can offer with regard to avoiding knee injury or running with a brace would be most appreciated. Thanks, Christy
    Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    Goals:
    *Complete a 5K (no walking)
    Tortoise and Hare 5K, 42:05, 13:35 pace PR
    *Weigh 160 lbs 5 to go!!!
    *15 mpw base
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sounds like you are running into what I have dealt with a couple of times (right now I am working through a mild bit of this sort of thing, too). The general recommendation is to make certain that one's quads are as strong as the backs of the legs--runner's often have imbalances in strength between the fronts and backs of their legs. One of the gals here recommended this page for examples of some helpful exercises. I have seen a lot of them in other places, too, but these are very clearly explained and illustrated, so I have bookmarked it and printed it out. I've also taken the last 3 days off from running to give my right knee some rest. I'm gradually working more lower-body strength training and maybe some bicycling in to my weeks to help keep the knee issues at bay in the future. HTH. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Speediest Slug There Is!

Thank you for the advice! I am starting these exercises straightaway. In the meantime it probably wouldn't hurt to run with my brace. Better safe than sorry... What's HTH?
        Goals:
        *15 mpw base
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

HTH = hope this helps. (I had to ask, too!)

Speediest Slug There Is!

Thanks Teresa! I tried running with the brace today... had to tear it off 4 minutes in and carry it with me! WAY too constrictive and it totally threw off my rhythm. But I was okay without it, to my surprise... just ran my longest distance yet at 2.25 miles! No soreness. I think doing the strength exercises are going to make all the difference in the world.
            Goals:
            *15 mpw base