Pace accuracy (Read 1119 times)

Feeling the growl again

Last time I was in shape and doing 800 repeats in 2:24ish, I could tell how I was doing within a second or so. Now, more out of shape, I'm only within 3-5 seconds.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Last time I was in shape and doing 800 repeats in 2:24ish, I could tell how I was doing within a second or so. Now, more out of shape, I'm only within 3-5 seconds.
      Nice job, Spaniel. Last I was doing 800 repeats in 2:24-ish was 20 years and 20 lbs. ago.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

Thanks TChuck. I left the track because it was so very hot and went to the gym. I ran my second 1.5 mile interval on the treadmill closer to 7...I think it was 7:15ish. I was able to do it on the tmill no problem. Is there that much difference in the tmill from the track? Sorry to OP for the hi-jack.
        Treadmill could have been off. Could be weather related. Could be the break in between.

Non ducor, duco.

Treadmill could have been off.
          Thanks for smashing all my dreams, Scoutie.
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Thanks for smashing all my dreams, Scoutie.
            We don't call him the Dreamcrusher for nothing. My vote is for heat!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

I do what I can. But, it is one of the reasons why I dislike treadmills. If you're gonna use one, go by time and RPE.

Non ducor, duco.

I do what I can. But, it is one of the reasons why I dislike treadmills. If you're gonna use one, go by time and RPE.
                You should write a book. Things I Don't Like by Scout. in 4 Volumes. Crackberries and treadmills get their own chapters. Read it and learn.
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You should write a book. Things I Don't Like by Scout. in 4 Volumes. Crackberries and treadmills get their own chapters. Read it and learn.
                  Scout should really team up with my one of my old buddies for that book. I swear, not a day went by when this dude didn't say: "[Insert name of person, group, etc.] needs to shot." Sounds like a good match for you, Scout. As a side note, this guy is a hyper, efficient, and batshit insane engineer. We were roomates for a while, and one time I walked into the apartment to find him pedaling away furiously on an exercise bike, while reading a book. He shouted, "Jeff! I'm improving myself physically and mentally at the same time." Dude also candiced at work in a cleanroom bunnysuit. Seriously.

Non ducor, duco.

Dude also candiced at work in a cleanroom bunnysuit. Seriously.
                    That is just wrong.
                    Scout7

For the record, it's not technology that I hate. I write software for a living. It's technology for the sake of technology. It's also the idea that technology is some sort of magical device that makes one better at something. HR monitors fit this category, at least the way most people approach them. "Oh, I'm running, I need a HRM." Treadmills are fine. Just realize that, as with anything in this world, there are certain issues that arise from their use, and take those into account. It's no different than using GPS to say a race was long or short.

Non ducor, duco.

Just Be

I agree you want to find a pace you can hit consistently and the first few reps should feel relatively easy, but I have to disagree about the gasping for air on the last one though. By the last rep you should be feeling tired and it will no doubt be more difficult (percieved effort) to hit your goal time on the last than it was the first, but if you are gasping you're going to fast.
                          I think that "gasping" might not have been the best word of choice on my part. The OP seemed to ask about a pacing strategy for a structured interval workout. In my experience, what works best for me is for the interval workout to get my HR as close to 100% on the last few reps as possible, without giving an all-out effort, rather an effort consistent with the previous repetitions. So, at 100% HR or as close to that as possible under the type of load that this kind of interval workout produces, at the end of the last rep you should be breathing very heavily, but you should theoretically not be so spent that you couldn't muster up 1 additional rep at the same pace with the same recovery if you wanted to test the bounds of your mental determination... if that makes sense. If the effort level of the entire workout is correct, in my experience, then the post interval recovery time should be less than 10 minutes of very slow jogging and then a normal running pace for up to as many aerobic miles as your daily training allows could potentially be executed with ease. i.e. If your daily 70% max heart rate jog is 5 miles, you should be able to jog 5 miles pretty easily after a max of 10 minutes of slow recovery jogging or walking post the interval workout. I'm not saying that you *should* - just that you could if you wanted to do so. I think the aforementioned is what defines a good aerobic power workout and sets it apart from an anaerobic glycolysis type of workout, which - I think - is what you probably thought I was talking about when I said "gasping."

SMART Approach

Anda, Not all treadmills are calibrated. Also, you need 1 degree elevation to equal outdoors. Use same treadmil in gym for consistency.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com