two questions track workouts on treadmill and best intervals to prepare for tough mudder (Read 1135 times)

#artbydmcbride

I watched footage of an ostrich running, sportyjester, and his knees bend backwards!  Can you do that too?

Runners run

Scout7

I have never been accused of being cranial stable.

When I'm running, the purpose is entirely different.  I'm not usually as concerned about perceptions.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I can suggest you study their anatomy then...

I watched footage of an ostrich running, sportyjester, and his knees bend backwards!  Can you do that too?

They have very small femurs under their feathers, so I wouldn't expect you to know anything about them.

http://www.rvc.ac.uk/sml/People/documents/SmithJAnat2006Musclearchitectureostrichpelvic.pdf

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

sport jester

Biomimeticist

When I'm running, the purpose is entirely different.  I'm not usually as concerned about perceptions.

Perception skills are a primary need for elite level units, I train to their skills, which you may not care about, but many do. 

I'll offer SWAT teams as an example, the ability to walk with no impact forces is directly applicable to their needs to walk undetected in building environments

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Feeling the growl again

And when you do move real slow, its also a survival skill to keep the visual input as stable as possible.

You walk with measurable vertical lift and lateral sway regardless to how slow you move. That movement distorts depth perception, speed perception, reaction times, as well as having measurable impact forces for detection.

Its known as cranial stability. Applies to both athletes and soldiers.

Make that three military men he's trying to tell the way it is.  I wish I had my college teammate's phone number as he was both a runner and a SEAL.  (Unlike sport jester it would be easy to generate video evidence to prove his actual experience).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

#artbydmcbride

I can suggest you study their anatomy then...

They have very small femurs under their feathers, so I wouldn't expect you to know anything about them.

http://www.rvc.ac.uk/sml/People/documents/SmithJAnat2006Musclearchitectureostrichpelvic.pdf

So they are running on their tiptoes!  Big grin   Is that how you run?  With your wings tight against your rounded haunches?   Cool   Very cool.

Please show us the video of you or your trained seals doing this!!

Runners run

Scout7

Perception skills are a primary need for elite level units, I train to their skills, which you may not care about, but many do. 

Actually I would argue that "many" is not a very accurate description.  Firstly, let's establish what "elite level units" are.  Based on your prior conversations, I'm going to go with any of the unit types that fall under JSOC, as well as Marine Force Recon (who has yet to submit, last I heard).  So, we're talking Army Special Forces, Rangers, SEALs, PJs, TAC-Ps, and Delta (if we acknowledge they exist, which we don't, and I doubt you would be talking about any work you've done with them in the last 15 years anyway).

OK, so, combining ALL of those unit types together, and comparing their numbers to the rest of the entire US military, I would say the actual percentage of military personnel in elite level units is really rather small, probably in the range of less than 5% total forces.

Now, even within those units, there are a number of personnel who are not the shooters; you got riggers, supply and intel personnel, and all the rest of the CSS types (that's Combat Service Support for the rest of you, and it means all the support roles that go into getting the guys with the guns to the place where they can deliver their bad-assery to whomever has requested it).  So, even within that 5%, there's even fewer who would actually be interested in what you're peddling.

In other words, your many is not really all that many.

Now, as to the skills used...  I was a Scout (duh).  Perception was the name of the game for me.  I spent more time than I care to think about perceiving the who what when where, and serving as an all-you-can-eat buffet for the local insect population.  So yeah, I can dig the perception stuff, and I know it's pretty damned important.

BUT...  When I had to run while in those types of situations, it meant we had fucked up, and it was time to boogie.  I was no longer worried about perception, I was far more interested in hauling ass back to my vehicle where there were bigger guns and more people.  Having those things around generally made me feel, I dunno... "safer".  So, I ran through the woods like Wudy the fucking Wabbit when I had to.  I had perception enough to hurdle fallen trees, to take cover when I had to, and to be able to lay down a base of suppressive fire for my comrades as necessary.  Screw the rest, pop smoke break contact wasn't just a phrase it was our way of life.

Nowadays, all the running I concern myself with is for fun and games, not survival.  And like I said earlier, unless you can tell me specifically what I have to do to get FASTER, to be able to BEAT MY COMPETITION, I don't much give a rodent's hindquarters what studies you've done or who your clients are.  They don't mean spit to me at this point in my life.

Hey, that was kinda fun to write all that out.  I feel better.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I fully understand that a wide variety of locomotion skills are required in military environments.

I choose to work with military clients simply because they've already spent years studying, reading, or being trained at peak fitness levels. Its easy to find someone who knows less than you do, but few trainers seek to find people who understand movement at much more refined levels of physical need. If I can teach them new skills, and have their endorsement for my running training knowledge, puts my level of understanding far beyond being a simple "running" coach.

If your goal is to become a better and faster runner, then your goal is absolute economy. The question I ask is what measurements define optimum running mechanics? How do you know when a runner is running as biologically efficient as they can? You can google running technique and get a mere 5 million sites to puruse. And not one of them will actually tell you what measurements theyr'e "training" you to be better at.

I list them, because I can improve them.

Vertical lift

Lateral Sway

Forward drift

Maximum stride legth per step

Metabolic rate.

The masking tape exercise teaches the basics to eliminating over stride foot impact and walking with no vertical lift at all. If you can transition that to running, then you'll be landing with an impact force of 70% of bodyweight. Everyone I've taught it to has run faster or further, simply by changing the way they run.

Scout7

So, how do you measure all those things?  I mean, I imagine metabolic rate ain't exactly something I can do at home.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Video tape from a frontal view measures your figure eight displacement from vertical lift per step and amount of lateral sway.

This video of Dr Lieberman is my favorite joke expert to share with clients. at 1:40 the video shows how inefficient he runs. Oh, and as an "expert" in barefoot running, I wonder why he can't explain the women of Kenya.  I know because I asked him....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICNaSah5bAs

Measure of your center of gravity can video your drift rate in running.

Metabolic rate is heart rate, by personal or machine level monitor. If any alteration in movement doesn't reduce the energy expenditure to move, then your heart rate for identical speed will go up, not down.

"run" "2" "eat"

okay, seriously now. metabolic rate measurement is a bit of a hobby of mine, so now we're onto a subject i can really dig into. comparing metabolic rate measurement systems:

http://www.mymeasures.com/metabolic

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

sport jester

Biomimeticist

The question isn't how its measured, its if any change can impact those measurements.

If you change the way you move, you can only do it one of two ways; more or less efficiently.

All the fancy measurements in the world don't change your running skill at all.

Scout7

Now we're all into science and shit.

Can't I just "feel" it?  I mean, I know rate of perceived exertion is probably gonna give you the screaming heebie jeebies, but it's what I like.

If you can put this stuff into, you know, like a philosophy or belief structure, we can maybe get somewhere.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Of course you can feel it.

If you try the masking tape exercise, you'll be walking with no vertical lift in your step, no lateral sway in your step and with absolutely no drift. And if I can teach you to walk this way, you'll truly enjoy running this way.

If you're motivated, then you'll easily feel the difference. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

When you start this race, and the crocodile and the polar bear and the hippo enter the water, you're gonna feel it all right.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.