1977 Boston Marathon Race Report! (Read 216 times)

xhristopher

I went to SUNY Albany, then Marist. 

Spareribs, My father-in-law is your age, went to Marist, and I think he was still running CC while there. Remember a Kevin McGee?

Great race report, thanks for posting that. I enjoy reading a story that captures a snapshot in time, in this case an activity I'm intimately familiar with but with the surrounding details and personal expectations and insights all askew. I ran Boston in 2010. I was spent over those last few miles, digging hard to keep the pace from slowing, and as we run past the lawn parties near BU random spectators begin to spontaneously curse the Yankees. My mind lifts a bit from the pain cave I'm in and I realize that someone in my running pack must be wearing a Yankees cap or shirt or something. In between the general hollering and cheering I would suddenly hear a casual 'hey, f&ck you Yankee fan', then 'you can do it, it's all downhill from here!!', then 'get f&cked New York'. It took me a moment to understand what was going on, I didn't even realize we were near a University at first until I looked up from the road. I clearly remember glancing over and seeing a good looking coed nursing a keg cup in one hand, and mid-cheer for the other runners her eyes briefly harden and she blurts out to the guy two in front of me to 'eat a d#ck Yankees fan' then continues to cheer as though nothing just happened. An awesome memory of that fine day.

In between the general hollering and cheering I would suddenly hear a casual 'hey, f&ck you Yankee fan', then 'you can do it, it's all downhill from here!!', then 'get f&cked New York'. It took me a moment to understand what was going on, I didn't even realize we were near a University at first until I looked up from the road. I clearly remember glancing over and seeing a good looking coed nursing a keg cup in one hand, and mid-cheer for the other runners her eyes briefly harden and she blurts out to the guy two in front of me to 'eat a d#ck Yankees fan' then continues to cheer as though nothing just happened. An awesome memory of that fine day.

Just like Southern hospitality, only different.  Proud to live eight miles from the finish line, you stay classy Boston.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

For those of you that can recall races from the 70's and 80's I would like to invite you to join the Masters user group.  It is one of the most active, if not the most active, user groups and Spareribs among many others post there regularly.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/