You can "measure" most distances without gadgets... (Read 1060 times)

daves14304

Strangely enough when I try to estimate usually I've gone twice what I thought I did so in order to not injure myself I try and either measure or time my runs.
      I often just estimate my distance based on time, and how fast I felt I was going. Not very accurate, but close enough I would say.
      I do the same when I'm travelling for business and running a strange course in a new town. At home, I stick to courses I've pre-planned and measured ahead of time.
      Do bears bear? Do bees be?
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmm...maybe that level of precision was the way it was done down there in the land of hanging chads ( Wink), but up here a guy drove by and they used 75 feet of road frontage for each house number to sort everything out for e-911. And, we don't have all that many mailboxes stay where they were originally planted -- the snow plows weed out the weak each year, so most don't have anything that resembles a house number on them.
        Ha, your part of Maine sounds like my part of MI. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I ran with my GPS watch on my long run on Sunday. I ran the whole damn thing too fast. Good reminder that even with technology, I lack self control and common sense.
          Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Huh, now that I think about it, MilkTruck is right - we're #75, and we're definitely more than .075 miles from the main road. So much for high-tech accuracy.

an amazing likeness

Ha, your part of Maine sounds like my part of MI. Big grin
              But we get our cheese from Vermont...and lobster is free.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But we get our cheese from Vermont...and lobster is free.
                Cry No lobstahs for me... SadAngryNo Our house # is 7996. Our street is only about 2/10 of a mile long, 4 houses (we connect 2 other streets)...not straight. No clue what rationale is used to measure distances/lot #s here.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay