Running is boring. (Read 417 times)

kkittenkat

English Villian

I must say I was pleasantly surprised with the results.

flyrunnr

But will pole dancing lower my marathon time? 

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

Do I understand you correctly - you only do this for the PR? Hours and hours of boring exercise in order to being able to update your signature on RA?

Wow. I wonder wouldn't it make more sense to feel really happy during and see the results of the hard work after the fact i.e. having a tight ass and legs as a result of constantly gripping that steel pole AND having some drunk dudes stick some fake dollars in your panties?

No brainer for me! #whatdoyouthink

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

kkittenkat

English Villian

Do I understand you correctly - you only do this for the PR? Hours and hours of boring exercise in order to being able to update your signature on RA?

Wow. I wonder wouldn't it make more sense to feel really happy during and see the results of the hard work after the fact i.e. having a tight ass and legs as a result of constantly gripping that steel pole AND having some drunk dudes stick some fake dollars in your panties?

No brainer for me! #whatdoyouthink

You might be slightly starting to lose your marketing genius on this one...

I suggest removing the word 'fake'.

Fixed it!

Cyberic

I don't think running is boring, but I suspect it has made ME boring to others. I am in bed by 10, never go out, never want to do anything. I don't think running is boring, because if I did, I would not run as much, for sure.

Seattle prattle

Let's get this straight. Running may be boring. But i am infinitely fascinating even if i am the only one to think so.  And I am a runner. Hell, I elevate running to an existential pursuit.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Hell yeah!!!  A strong butt provides stability which enables your legs to generate power and run faster. It will also help maintain form during the latter stages of a marathon. I think you should enroll for a pole dancing class in 2018.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

I'll double down on that sentiment.

Am I the only one who does mathematics problems in their head while running, just to pass the time?

I wear an MP3 player and listen to music, but even that gets tedious.

I'm not bored on all of my runs -- I tend to enjoy letting my thoughts wander as I think about problems, plans, and random musings. I do, however, do math problems in my head, mainly having to do with how fast I need to run to get back home in time. I also spend time calculating the pace I need to run for an upcoming race.

Listening to music can be good, but I usually enjoy audiobooks and podcasts. If you're interested, here's some running podcasts I enjoy:

Twin Cities Runner - Favorite Podcasts

mdolley

Funky kicks 2019

I always do math in my head while running.  I know i am getting tired when I can't do the math anymore

RSX

Math pays all the bills at my house via 2 professions.

I always do math in my head while running.  I know i am getting tired when I can't do the math anymore

Seattle prattle

Beats running with an adding machine.

T Hound

Slower but happier

If u get bored running, try trails, if i get bored on trails in short order i slam my face in the ground from hitting a roots or rock.  But i dont want to run like this every day, sometimes a long run in cruise control watching the mind wander Or just checking out so to speak.  At the end im like what the hell was i thinking about for 3 hrs.  There is something satisying in the repetitiion.  Ive done some flat 50 mile runs and one of the flattest 100 mile runs, so maybe i have more of an inclination (?on the spectrum-like) to this monotony.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

T Hound

Slower but happier

I don't think running is boring, but I suspect it has made ME boring to others. I am in bed by 10, never go out, never want to do anything. I don't think running is boring, because if I did, I would not run as much, for sure.

Yes, i dont have much to offer a nonrunner ( but never really did!)

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I'll double down on that sentiment.

Am I the only one who does mathematics problems in their head while running, just to pass the time?

I wear an MP3 player and listen to music, but even that gets tedious.

No, you're not the only one.  After a couple miles, I start working out what pace for the next mile will get my overall pace to a certain number.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

It can get that way, but adding variety should help.

I think people who do 3x the same workout week in, week out are setting themselves up for boring...

300m- 37 sec.