Largest 25k in the US -- Join us in West MI! (Read 773 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

http://www.53riverbankrun.com/ So who's gonna come run this with backroadrunner and me? It's a HUGE race...would be really fun to have a bunch of RA folks converging for that weekend. May 12, 2007 is the date! Big grin Watching Eryn run it this year inspired me to get my ass in gear and start shooting for longer race goals for myself. It's really a great event (even though I HATE the bank that sponsors it...asshats). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

I've spent plenty of time in western Michigan. Do I *have* to go back? Tongue One more Holland tulip festival and I might slit my wrists.
      http://www.53riverbankrun.com/ So who's gonna come run this with backroadrunner and me? It's a HUGE race...would be really fun to have a bunch of RA folks converging for that weekend. May 12, 2007 is the date!
      It would actually be cool for a bunch of RA folks to congregate any weekend. Maybe something to think about at some point ... (where's Eric live, anyway? Might be cool to descend upon his town for a local race ...) By the way - bonus points for the use of "asshat." It happens to be one of only 7 words in English that are always, always funny. Interestingly enough, fartlek is one of the seven. Despite it's marginal status as "English." The other five must never be uttered.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've spent plenty of time in western Michigan. Do I *have* to go back? Tongue One more Holland tulip festival and I might slit my wrists. It would actually be cool for a bunch of RA folks to congregate any weekend. Maybe something to think about at some point ... (where's Eric live, anyway? Might be cool to descend upon his town for a local race ...) By the way - bonus points for the use of "asshat." It happens to be one of only 7 words in English that are always, always funny. Interestingly enough, fartlek is one of the seven. Despite it's marginal status as "English." The other five must never be uttered.
        Ha, I lived and worked ON 8th street in Holland for 2 years...worst. years. ever. There is no hell like living on 8th street during 2 Tulip Times. I think Eric is in Boston...that would be a fun place to run a race (aside from the BIG one). Asshat and Fartlek are fun. So is Uff Da...though that's actually Norwegian. k

~ Sarah Kay

The other five must never be uttered. Even in other languages? Look up the Thai word for squash. The Thais lop off that last part of the word (tong) so it becomes the F bomb. My first wife (she was from Thailand) hated talking about gardening with one of my great uncles, he loved teasing her about that!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*bump* Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Now that was a bath...

Can I suggest that everyone meets in Whakapapa New Zealand for this. This kills two birds with one stone for me. Firstly I get to avoid an expensive and lengthy plane trip to meet you all - and secondly I get to use the word Whakapapa. Bear in mind that 'Wh' is prounounced 'F' in Maori and the 'ak' is changed to a cross between ock & uck (it's hard to write Maori pronounciation if you aren't familiar with it). It's an incestuous little word, much used here in NZ because it also is the word for your genealogy. In Maori culture it is more important to tell people your Whakapapa then your job and it is listed at the begining of every meeting. Interesting that Maori culture uses a term like that to describe their ancestry. I like it as much as Asshat. Claire xxx Ps. I will have to run a virtual race with you all that day.
            • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
            • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                I had actually never heard the term "asshat" before. The closest I've gotten before is "rectal cranial inversion". Now Kooky2003 comes up with "Whakapapa". This right on the heels of yesterday's "whinging pom." Claire, your contributions to this community range far beyond just running. Excellent. My wife is Indian. Her native tongue is Gujurati & she refuses to teach me any cursewords. After knowing her for ten years most of my Gujurati vocabulary has to do with food & getting naked. Call me task specific. I love of the idea of hooking up for a race at some point.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I love of the idea of hooking up for a race at some point.
                  The Johnsonville Brat Trot (4 miles) would be a fun one, too. My brother and I and one of my best friends from HS are planning to do that. One of our own RA members is from the town where it is held, too. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, and I agree with the contributions Claire has made...I feel like I've learned so many great foreign cultural tidbits that I likely would have never picked-up. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

bas

This is getting more interesting by the minute. Asshats, Whakapapa, Tulip Festivals! Want to escape Tulip Festivals? Come to The Netherlands. bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Tulip Festivals! Want to escape Tulip Festivals? Come to The Netherlands. bas
                        You can't see me, but I am laughing my ass off...seriously. OK, so my ass hasn't budged, unfortunately, but I am laughing really hard. Trust me. "Tulip Time" is the most annoying festival on Earth. They should really call it "blue hairs by the busload fest." Oh, and the whole town of Holland is uber-conservative and the county Holland is in is dry on Sundays. But it gets better. One year they decided to be "hip" and book a wholesome performer to entertain the younger set..... Christina Aguilera. Granted, this was back in her "Genie In a Bottle" days, but my hubby and I about died when the Dirrty album came out...the old farts in Holland, MI must have about swallowed their dentures! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

While it is the weekend after the Pig, I won't rule it out. Wink