Compartment Syndrome (Read 255 times)

Loves the outdoors

I've been struggling with a calf injury that isn't getting any better and in fact is much worse 2 months later than when I started having issues. I'm now unable to run at all and for 2-3 weeks i even had pain while walking. An ultrasound has shown no evidence if injury, but I tell you something is wrong!

I've suffered from very tight and sore calves for years, often needing to stop and stretch mid run to reduce the pain. How much this happens seems to come and go. I also get numb feet periodically, which again stretching my calves helps. Based on all of this info and some other tests my Physio thinks I have compartment syndrome. I am being treated conservatively initially with lots of stretching and calf strengthening exercises, then off for some needles in the muscles and a running test if there is no improvement.

i'm finding it very frustrating not being able to run at all and would love to hear that others have experienced this have come back to running.

Also, I am getting sore soles of my feet. Particularly the heels, where they are uncomfortable just resting them on soft surfaces. The Physio thought it could possibly be related to my calves, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? The sore feet came on along with the acute calf pain pretty much to the day. They sort of tingle, but had been ok for a couple of weeks but are doing it again.

this is my first real injury since I started running 3.5 years ago and it's incredibly frustrating!

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

nzrun, a billion years ago, that's what my coach thought too! I had all the tests and nothing. Then I had other injuries and left the sport seriously because I couldn't get back into shape without first getting injured. For the first time in years, I'm finally getting back into it but the calf issues have pretty much been there ... until i found THIS exercise. Maybe it will help you too!! I do it a couple of times a day and what a difference!! I'm also running stairs during the winter months to build quad strength. That may help too!

Anyway, here's the link to the soleus muscle strengthener!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcpkv2VF2K8&feature=share&list=PL5496ED4CC31F3B76

Loves the outdoors

Thanks TechW - I had a look at the vid and I haven't seen that exercise before, so I might give it a go. Anything to get back to running! I am going stir crazy. I have been using some free gym visits and watching people running on Treadmills and even TM running is looking good at the moment.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.