Moving from Indoor Triathlons to the Real Thing (Read 1369 times)

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

never heard of an indoor tri before
    Keep in mind that we live in a snow globe (lake effect snow always a reality this time of year) in western Michigan. We are VERY creative when creating events that approximate real outdoor events. Indoor Tris help to meet that goal of competing in at least one event each month!
    March: Irish Jig 5K (DONE), Kent City Ridge Run 5K (DONE) April: Iron Girl 5K (DONE), Kentucky Derby Half May: 5/3 (10K) July: Cherry Festival 15K August: Chicago Rock N Roll Half, Crim Festival of Races (10 miler) October: Grand Rapids Marathon (Half-Hometown Gig)
      I think you'll have no problem with an outdoor tri. Just think of it this way, the swim is the shortest of the three events. Just don't start in the front. Also you could start the swim on the outside. It's slightly longer, but you will get less interference. And it will spread out pretty quickly as everyone gets into their pace. Remember, drafting is allowed in swimming. So if you find someone slightly faster than you, you can stay in their bubbles to keep your energy for the end of your swim and the bike. If you haven't done so previously, practice sighting in the pool. Every few laps, do a lap where you do four strokes with your head above water, four strokes with your head in the water. You'll do just fine. Good luck! - R
      T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

You can do it. Try a sprint distance triathlon. I'm sure there are plenty in your area. Start to the far outside on the swim so you can bail to the outside if things get rough. All women triathlons are very popular and seem the be perfect for a first experience.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Danskin is very well supported. They have "water angels" who support and help swimmers. I believe they even give you a noodle to rest on if needed. My sister has done the race and been a "swim angel". Do it.
            Do it! I was initially worried about the swim too, but now love it. I still start wide though.

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

OK. I think I have found the perfect first outdoor Tri - the Bostwick Lake Triathlon. It is 4/10 mile swim, 14 mile bike ride and 5K run. BUT, the best thing (since I'm most concerned about the swimming) is that it is limited to 100 people! And, it is on the 4th of July - seems like the perfect way to celebrate.
              March: Irish Jig 5K (DONE), Kent City Ridge Run 5K (DONE) April: Iron Girl 5K (DONE), Kentucky Derby Half May: 5/3 (10K) July: Cherry Festival 15K August: Chicago Rock N Roll Half, Crim Festival of Races (10 miler) October: Grand Rapids Marathon (Half-Hometown Gig)

The voice of mile 18

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Work on your freestyle form if you're not comfortable with it. There are a lo tof great free swimming plans out there to help you. I like to use www.beginnertriathlete.com for some easy and effective form workouts. My freestyle form has improved a ton since doing form workouts. I'm now much faster and 100% more efficient than I was before and I was a solid swimmer before! Also practice in open water. Never swim open water by yourself. Practicing in open water helps a lot. If you are going to need a wetsuit, make sure you pracitce with that as well. Wetsuits can change your form and the add buoyoancy (sp?) .
                  Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

Thanks for all of the comments.  It's official. I signed up for the Bostwick Lake Triathlon that takes place on the 4th of July.   I learned how to swim in this lake when I was 3 years old.    Hope that training helps.

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

OK!  I did it today.  Thanks for all of your encouragement.  This was the perfect first Triathlon. It was limited to 125 people, in a small community north of Grand Rapids.   

It was "sprint" distance.  The swim was .43 miles, bike was 14 miles, run was 2.9.

Swim went great.  I finished the swim and was out of the water and on my bike in 19 minutes.  My greatest fears of getting knocked around were unfounded due to the small field.  I just did breaststroke and went slow and steady.  The guys started 3 minutes earlier than the women, and I still passed some guys! 

First transition was fine (learned a lot in the Indoor Tris).  My cheapy $200 road bike was better than expected.  It was out and back - up 7 miles, down 7 miles.  Did in under an hour. The bike is always my strongest section in an Indoor Triathlon (go figure).  Had fun, but not ready to invest in a better bike yet

The run was a short 2.9 miles.  Since I have shifted to longer distances, this was barely enough distance to warm up and get the kinks out from the transition.   Ran slowwwww the first half, started getting stronger at about mile 2 and then it was done. Pretty close to my 5K race pace of 10:20. 

All told, I was pretty happy about it.  This is a nice community event, very well organized.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You didn't forget to take off your swim goggles for the bike ride? You didn't forget to take off your bike helmet for the run? You didn't get overheated and toss up?

Excellent! Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

Nope.  The Indoor Triathlons really prepared me pretty well along with the posts here on RA. 

I did...um..not EXACTLY know how to set up my stuff in the transition area and didn't bring a handy-dandy backpack to carry all the stuff in like the seasoned triathletes.  Just watched everyone and tried to figure it out.    I did run with my bike gloves still on and probably looked dorky, but it seemed like the time it would take to get them off wasn't worth it, they seemed stuck to me like glue.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

A friend of mine took a spill on the run leg and really skinned her hands. After that I decided I'd leave the gloves on for the run -- save time, and in case I was tired and fell down, they might help protect my hands.

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

Well...alrighty, then.  Let's just say I planned to wear my gloves

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Heh, we just improved your transition post-facto!

Well, didn't make it faster, but made it sound smoother Smile