Winter running top (Read 179 times)

Christirei

Can you all help me out? for years i have been running in a Columbia Omni heat base layer with a simple fleece top, it works until about twenty degrees, then i have to start layers, when it gets real cold i have another top with a built in hood/face mask that i wear over the fleece top. The fleece is thin and lets the wind go right through, but i was gifted it and it has worked for me. At this point though, it smells so bad and im just so tired of being cold and i want to find something new for this winter. We have already had several mornings in the 20's already this November. I could wear my top with the hood in place of the fleece, but honestly i just dont prefer to have a hood, it works for the super cold mornings, but its definitely not my preference to be wearing a hood, and the only way to have the hood up is to also have the face mask up, and until it is closer to zero degrees i really don't like that. I prefer the quarter zip style, that comes up on my neck but that's all. my girlfriend that i run with found a top at costco several years ago that looks like a standard performance type quarter zip top but is fleece lined, it helps break the wind but keeps her insulated and warm. she wears a base layer underneath and is good to go, i've been searching everywhere for something like that but keep striking out. everything i find is either to loose and baggy (not for running, just for keeping warm) or has a hood. does anyone hear have a recommendation? Thanks for the help

an amazing likeness

Take a look at the Craft Thermal Wind top.  Works really well for me in the 10-30F range with only minor changes to underlayer, and it's also wicked reflective.

Also, Sporthill makes wonderful running pullovers

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Marylander

I've got some smartwool phd stuff that is a blend of merino and synthetic fibers. It doesn't retain odors. I wear the same stuff everyday, getting it pretty sweaty. I only wash it when the salt gets to be a bit much. Wink I like to layer so I've got a thin sleeveless shirt, thin long sleeve shirt, and thin jacket. That's what I wear with temps around 20. We're in the 30s here so I haven't used the jacket yet this year. I got all of it reasonably priced through ebay.

NorthNorthwest

I post this all the time, but the best way to prevent smells is to lay out your clothes to dry right after you wear them. For the most part, the sweat itself is odorless. It's the nasty bacteria and stuff that grows the longer it stays wet. I use a spare shower to hang stuff, but a basement sink or any # of set-ups will work. Like Marylander, I wear the same warm top layer several days in a row - and I'm a sweaty dude. To your point, though, sometimes after several years there's just no stopping the stank.

I don't have much in the way of good apparel recos since I usually just buy cheap Champion or Old Navy stuff, or Nike on clearance. Although sometimes I find excellent stuff for cheap at TJ Maxx.

Marylander

Yep, I hang my running clothes to dry as soon as I take them off. So, that may help keep the wool stuff from developing any odor. Nonetheless my synthetic summer running clothes can knock you out cold if you take a big whiff once they're dry. Wink

LRB

I prefer the quarter zip style, that comes up on my neck but that's all. does anyone hear have a recommendation?

My plan is to experiment with wool this winter and something like this comes to mind. I bought this one because I wasn't sure if form fitting would work, it's also 400 grams whereas the other is 320 grams.

My objective is to find a combination of tops/vests/shirts that limits sweat, not so much for the smell, but for the fact I don't want to be wet while out running long in the teens or single digits. I have three or four running jackets (actually 5 I think) and they all trap heat and encourage wetness across the back, shoulders and/or sleeves in one way or another.

Anyway, I'm not sure if that's something that you're interested in but just throwing it out there. I have this top that does have thumb holes so I suppose you could run in it, but I never have. It's really warm and super toasty otherwise though.

As far as limiting smell, I rinse out all of my running tops in water post-run before the sweat has a chance to dry. I've found it effective in completely removing the stench of dried sweat. YMMV

Ooo! I like that Meriwool top!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Christirei

thanks all! i'm looking at all of these options, appreciate it!

I do think that the biggest problem with my current fleece top is that i have been wearing it for 6+ years, it's just time to move on

i really like the look of the Craft stuff, but the merino options are cheaper...do you think the merino blocks the wind as well as keeps you warm?

LRB

There is no wind protection whatsoever on what I have, it blows right through the top. I have a couple of vests that I will be trying for that. The wind might be less of factor on something form fitting.

I'm curious about some of the road biking tops, which have windproof fronts but venting material on the back. That seems like a good design for running in cold weather, too.

I have some thinner fleece tops, Patagonia and Hind, that have a looser weave that allows air to pass through yet retains heat well enough. I think the Patagonia one is supposed to be a mid layer for a multi-layer system, and has a 1/2 zip front. $5 at Goodwill, of course.

I always start out wearing too much in the winter, and end up removing tops because I'm too hot, and then being too cold again. It would be nice if there was something that allowed adjustable airflow on the fly; 3/4 front zipper, pit or torso zips, push-up sleeves.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

onemile

What you're describing sounds like the NB Heat Pullover that I have - lined with a grid-fleece fabric, no hood, and pretty warm.

There's a good sale here (it's NYCM version but if you don't care it's a good discount)

https://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/product/wt83246m/wt83246mplh

Otherwise I love love love Oiselle Wazzie wool. It's not windproof but it's super warm, doesn't stink and just perfectly fitting with super long sleeves and thumbholes. I pair it with a vest or windbreaker (NB Windcheater jacket) and that's good in mostly anything a Wisconsin winter will throw at you (below zero and I will add more but that's rare)

LRB

I always start out wearing too much in the winter, and end up removing tops because I'm too hot, and then being too cold again. 

The winter running quandary illustrated perfectly.

The formula I settled on years ago was to start out with too little and then warm up after 3 - 5 miles. It works. That is a single long sleeve shirt and a jacket. The problem I'm having with that is I don't want to be freezing cold for 30 - 40 minutes while running anymore. It. Sucks. Add to it the pitch black darkness of the dead of winter, single digit temps, high winds and blustery conditions and I find that I need to force myself to do something I otherwise have no issues with.

By switching to wool, I'm hoping to eliminate that bone freezing period which will lead to me not dreading the run. Not sure if it'll work but it's certainly worth trying.

onemile

By switching to wool, I'm hoping to eliminate that bone freezing period which will lead to me not dreading the run. Not sure if it'll work but it's certainly worth trying.

I don't know if wool is the answer to this...  I like to wear a long sleeve shirt with a vest on top and then after I warm up if I'm hot I can unzip the vest.

LRB

I don't know if wool is the answer to this...  I like to wear a long sleeve shirt with a vest on top and then after I warm up if I'm hot I can unzip the vest.

Indeed. I've got lots of new gear to try stuff with just in case; three vests, two tops and a jacket. Hoping to find something better than what my running jackets provide.

Christirei

Onemile - I looked at the New Balance top and it doesn't say anything about being lined, but taking your word for it and since it is such a good deal right now, i went ahead and ordered it, fingers crossed it works! thanks for the heads up, it does look like what i am wanting, as long as it is lined a bit it should work out well for me, thanks!