My kid's first 5-K (Read 1018 times)

12-week layoff

My kid is running her first 5-K on Saturday morning!  She's 9, and has shown interest in running before, but never stuck with it past a week or two.  She's been training for this race for a month, and she's enjoying every run.  No pressure on her, but I'm hoping to she will learn to love being fit and healthy.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Very nice; hope she has a blast.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Fun!  Take tons of photos! 

I wish I could get my kid interested in running...I think he'd be a natural.  But he has 0 interest.  Just as well, since he'd probably kick my ass in a year or two.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

12-week layoff

I can't say we left a trail of fire behind us, but she ran the whole race in 32 minutes, and placed 2nd in her age group. I'm proud of my baby, and glad I have a new running buddy. I have enjoyed getting off the 'mill lately to run with her!
          LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Great!  Hope that motivates her to run a lot more! Smile

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

How fantastic! Congratulations to the both of you!

TRUST THE PROCESS

Cool Jump Suit

Awesome!! Big grin   I cannot wait until my kids are a little older.  They are 5 & 7; do you think 9 is a good age to do a 5k??  I guess it depends on the kid. 

So bittersweet,
                This tragedy
                Won't ask for absolution;
                This melody,
                Inside of me,
                Still searches for solution.
                A twist of faith,
                A change of heart
                Cures my infatuation.
                A broken heart, 
                Provides the spark
                For my determination.

Best Present Ever

Fun! Congrats to your daughter, Schoolmarm.   Hacker, my not terribly athletic daughter ran her first race (a women's 4 mile race) at 8, and has run a 5k or 4 miler a couple times a year since.  Honestly, she is often somewhat miserable during the race, but she is THRILLED at the end.  My 7 year old son wants to run one, but I'm a bit worried about him.  He's way more athletic than his sister, and lots faster, but I'm not sure he has the stamina to run 5K.  His sister just whines and walks when she gets unhappy, he'd sit down and refuse to move.  And of couse he has no sense of pacing -- it's blisteringly fast or deadstop for him. 

Cool Jump Suit

Fun! Congrats to your daughter, Schoolmarm.   Hacker, my not terribly athletic daughter ran her first race (a women's 4 mile race) at 8, and has run a 5k or 4 miler a couple times a year since.  Honestly, she is often somewhat miserable during the race, but she is THRILLED at the end.  My 7 year old son wants to run one, but I'm a bit worried about him.  He's way more athletic than his sister, and lots faster, but I'm not sure he has the stamina to run 5K.  His sister just whines and walks when she gets unhappy, he'd sit down and refuse to move.  And of couse he has no sense of pacing -- it's blisteringly fast or deadstop for him. 

I have 2 girls, but similar issues.  My 7 year old is a lot of talk, but she has no stamina really.  I might give her a shot at one either late this year or next......we'll see.  My 5 year old though, she has real possibilities.   They a small race for kids that she entered last year and beat many of the boys in her age group.  You can just tell she has the ability.  Her interest though, eh??  We'll see.  I gotta say though; I really WANT them to have my desire.  Time will tell. 

So bittersweet,
                    This tragedy
                    This melody,
                    Inside of me,
                    A twist of faith,
                    A change of heart
                    Cures my infatuation.
                    A broken heart, 
                    Provides the spark
                    For my determination.

MrH

I'd let them try various distances at an all-comers track meet first. 5k is a long way for a little one.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My 12-year-old daughter has run races with me since she was 8.  I just make sure she always wants to do it.  I also tell her we'll do something fun afterwards, such as going out for breakfast.  She's a tiny little thing still, about 67 pounds.  It is so much fun to see the looks on men's faces when she zooms past them!  She loves that.

Cool Jump Suit

She's a tiny little thing still, about 67 pounds.  It is so much fun to see the looks on men's faces when she zooms past them!  She loves that.

Those men got youngstered. Smile

So bittersweet,
                          This tragedy
                          This melody,
                          Inside of me,
                          A twist of faith,
                          A change of heart
                          Cures my infatuation.
                          A broken heart, 
                          Provides the spark
                          For my determination.

12-week layoff

Hacker, I have tried running before with the kiddo, but she's never been able to run for long, and didn't really want to contine running.   We have a big dog, and he likes to walk and run, so we walk him a lot, but she's never wanted to run for long...just enjoyed walking.  This time, we started running, and she'd keep going.   For some reason, she liked it this year....like I suddenly liked running at the age of 27! 

There were many young kids at the race, and many not racing with parents.  There was a little girl ahead of us who ran the whole race by herself...she'd stop and walk every now and then, and she looked miserable, but she was fast enough to finish ahead of us!  There was also boy of about 5-6 who'd zoom ahead,  zig-zagging around until he tired out, then he'd walk.  Pretty soon, he'd come zooming past again.  He grinned the entire time! 

So, just keep trying with your kids, and don't worry if they zoom ahead and walk...you can race a whole 5-K that way!

Cool Jump Suit

Hacker, I have tried running before with the kiddo, but she's never been able to run for long, and didn't really want to contine running.   We have a big dog, and he likes to walk and run, so we walk him a lot, but she's never wanted to run for long...just enjoyed walking.  This time, we started running, and she'd keep going.   For some reason, she liked it this year....like I suddenly liked running at the age of 27! 

There were many young kids at the race, and many not racing with parents.  There was a little girl ahead of us who ran the whole race by herself...she'd stop and walk every now and then, and she looked miserable, but she was fast enough to finish ahead of us!  There was also boy of about 5-6 who'd zoom ahead,  zig-zagging around until he tired out, then he'd walk.  Pretty soon, he'd come zooming past again.  He grinned the entire time! 

So, just keep trying with your kids, and don't worry if they zoom ahead and walk...you can race a whole 5-K that way!

Thanks!  I am going to put it out to them sometime this year that if they would like to start some training, I will give them the opportunity to run a actual race!  I hope my 7 year old takes me up on it.  I know it would be a huge challenge for her, but I know once she completed it she would be so happy. 

So bittersweet,
                              This tragedy
                              This melody,
                              Inside of me,
                              A twist of faith,
                              A change of heart
                              Cures my infatuation.
                              A broken heart, 
                              Provides the spark
                              For my determination.

wow that is crazy!  I'm so happy for you both.