Request: Track body fat (Read 823 times)

nantastic

Defy Gravity

Hi, Eric, Totally loving your site and especially the training log. I currently record my body fat percentage under Notes, but I'd be grateful if you could eventually add it as a field under the Health category which could then be charted and graphed like some of the other statistics. Thank you! -- Another CR refugee

hootenanny: chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny

I'd like to second this request. It would be great to be able to track this directly for use in graphing etc. Thanks for providing such a wonderful service! mike
      eric :)

I think this is one of the requests that needs special handling, as in user definable data fields. I don't want to include this as part of the health info because you're probably using the body fat calculator that came with a scale, which is highly inaccurate. Anyway, it is already on my list of todos but won't be part of the next release. eric Smile
        sathomasga

I think this is one of the requests that needs special handling, as in user definable data fields. I don't want to include this as part of the health info because you're probably using the body fat calculator that came with a scale, which is highly inaccurate. Anyway, it is already on my list of todos but won't be part of the next release. eric Smile
          I think all of the regular ways to measure body fat (calipers, water test, ...) aren't particularly accurate. Seems like the only really good way is the same way that nutritionists measure fat content in food -- they incinerate it and measure the resulting gasses. (I'm not volunteering for that.) FWIW, one approach I've found that seems to work is to track pounds of body fat. (Multiply total weight by body fat percentage.) For me, both body weight and body fat percentage can vary quite a bit, even measured consistently w.r.t to time, apparel etc.. I think hydration affects this a lot. (Which, itself depends a lot on what I eat the day before.) Body fat weight, OTOH, seems to track quite consistently. Stephen