coming back to running after 2 months off? (Read 431 times)

Jannyann

I was really lazy/stressed and quit running for 2 months ago. I also ate poorly and gained a bunch of weight..  I was only running about 20 slow miles a week.  Does anyone have any suggestions for starting back? thanks Smile

an amazing likeness

Start walking for xx amount of time each day. After a bit, mix in some jogging. Keep building from there.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Chloey

Run Like a Mother

Slow miles and a slow increase of miles.  Give yourself time to get back to where you were.  Just get back out there and run a few easy miles.  Rest a day and then do it again. Before you know it, you will be back to where you were before took a break!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I was really lazy/stressed and quit running for 2 months ago. I also ate poorly and gained a bunch of weight..  I was only running about 20 slow miles a week.  Does anyone have any suggestions for starting back? thanks Smile

I do not envy you.  Probably the best reason to keep running is to never have to start running again.

That being said, SLOW miles.  Start at 2mi every other day.  Add a mile or two every week.  You'll get there.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

That being said, SLOW miles.  Start at 2mi every other day.  Add a mile or two every week.  You'll get there.

due to trail running accident, I had to take 14 weeks off.  Come back for a couple months to get hurt again (stupid ice) and miss another week.  Gah!  Angry

Now it's starting over session #2.  I'm doing exactly what's stated above.  SLOW and LOW miles.   Just got to keep the faith and know it will come back.  I hope so as that's what I'm counting on.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I do not envy you.  Probably the best reason to keep running is to never have to start running again.

I've been off for 5.5 weeks while in a long arm cast.  I've not taken more than 5 consecutive days off from all activity in almost 7 years...not even after suffering a grade 2 sprain.  I kept active on my road bike.  This time my orthopod forbid me from doing anything.  Yesterday I got the cast off in exchange for a bulky splint.  I have plans to get out for maybe 2 miles...but I am sorta petrified.  I am dreading facing the reality of almost certain major loss of fitness.   I don't want to be back to square 1...or even square 2.  I can't fathom why anyone would willingly take time off for anything other than acute injury.  The thought that 2-3 miles could feel difficult is so seriously demoralizing. Undecided

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

No Talent Drips

I basically took that middle third of 2012 off (if 20MPW is the criteria, I definitely did). In October, I just tried to run more consistently, without care for distance or pace. Same for November. By December, I started to want to run longer (occasionally) and to push pace (occasionally).

I'm just now starting to feel like I'm beginning to return to form. It takes time. But if you're doing 20mpw (as time off), I suspect you'll be back to form as soon as you get your head cleared of whatever has you stuck.

Get it. Get it.

Dei Gratia