Comparing running in heat vs ideal conditions (Read 111 times)

Gizmo2019

this is a stupid question but I’m curious. If I ran say 5 miles in 90 degree weather, slow pace, let’s say 15:00, 100% effort, and lost a significant amount of sweat/salt, how many miles or how long would it have taken me to finish in ideal cooler, what-i’m-used-to conditions (60 degrees, 9:00 pace, 80% effort, moderate sweat).

is there any way to compare? Would I need to know heart rate? Calories?

paul2432

Not a stupid question.

This will vary both person to person, and over time with the same person.  A 90 degree run in late spring is a lot harder than a 90 degree run in later summer.

There are tables you can find online, but they generally assume you are at least somewhat acclimated and probably have a body type that handles heat well.  They probably also assume you run at a sustainable pace for the temperature.  It's pretty easy to start out too hard in the heat and then slow down much more than you would if you had started more slowly.

Here is one calculator.

https://runsmartproject.com/2015/07/09/get-your-temperature-adjustment/

Edit:  Temperature alone is just one consideration.  90 and humid is a lot different than 90 and dry.  90 in the dark is also a lot different than 90 in direct sunlight.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

90 sucks.  That's why I moved from Texas to Maine 33 years ago.

T Hound

Slower but happier

This is cumbersome but does take into consideration humidity/dew point:

If anyone knows a widget for Garmin or a phone app that'd be more user friendly.

Bottom line is run by effort. Lower expectations.

http://maximumperformancerunning.blogspot.com/2013/07/temperature-dew-point.html?m=1

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

When it comes right down to it, there is very little that is mathematical about the human body.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

When it comes right down to it, there is very little that is mathematical about the human body.

Very true.  I cannot stand the heat and get physically ill.  I do much better when it's 10 degrees than 90. My sister, on the other hand, loves the heat and gets a drippy nose whenever the temperature falls below 30.

Gizmo2019

Thanks for those awesome links!

yes I forgot to add in humidity. I live in relatively dry heat so it’s not humid at all compared to living on the east coast/Midwest where it feels like you’re walking around in someone’s mouth. During those times I could only run in the short fall season..most optimal.i used to love heat when I was younger but now I’m old and weak. 60s is ideal. I’ve thought about moving to Alaska.

i guess my point was, I ran in mid 70s the other day with the California sun blaring on my shoulders and face the whole time. Plus I have 2 hills on my way back. I did my bare minimum miles and walking the excess feet home, but I just wondered if the effort was probably doubled or tripled.

to me, it’s sort of wasted effort if my body isn’t gaining anything from that run (just for now while I’m training) and I might as well have skipped it. Or did I gain anything? Those were my thoughts. But if running for fun or maintenance I wouldn’t have cared.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Okay I was thinking we were talking the 90s x 70% humidity we have here in Chicago lately.  70s sounds lovely but I do get it.

Main problem I see is your not in the woods.  I’m a little biased.  But honestly shade is huge.

Thanks for those awesome links!

yes I forgot to add in humidity. I live in relatively dry heat so it’s not humid at all compared to living on the east coast/Midwest where it feels like you’re walking around in someone’s mouth. During those times I could only run in the short fall season..most optimal.i used to love heat when I was younger but now I’m old and weak. 60s is ideal. I’ve thought about moving to Alaska.

i guess my point was, I ran in mid 70s the other day with the California sun blaring on my shoulders and face the whole time. Plus I have 2 hills on my way back. I did my bare minimum miles and walking the excess feet home, but I just wondered if the effort was probably doubled or tripled.

to me, it’s sort of wasted effort if my body isn’t gaining anything from that run (just for now while I’m training) and I might as well have skipped it. Or did I gain anything? Those were my thoughts. But if running for fun or maintenance I wouldn’t have cared.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

Gizmo2019

I’m from Chicago so I know that humidity. It terrifies me that we may move back one day and how the heck will I train/run having been spoiled here in CA.

altho 70s May sound good with no humidity, the sun is a lot closer it seems...you’re right, the shade is like 10-20 degree difference.