Why do muscles seize up/stiffen after a hard race but not during? (Read 111 times)

Wing

Joggaholic

This happened to me a couple of times. After a very long and hard race, I was tired but generally did not feel like I was in a bad shape right after crossing the finish line. I rest/sit down for a while, maybe 15 minutes or more, and then I could not even lift my legs or walk normally anymore. Is this DOMS? I thought DOMS kicks in the day after? I really think that if I had continued to run/jog but not sit down I would be able to keep going, but the "rest" actually caused my legs to shut down. Why does this seem to happen only afterward and not during the run? And if this happens in the middle of an ultra, how do I "restart" the legs after resting?

an amazing likeness

Well, maybe the fact you just ran for 14 hours and 65 miles has something to do with it !  Were I one of your legs and you started out for another lap, I'd kick you in the head and say "nope, not going to happen".

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

And if this happens in the middle of an ultra, how do I "restart" the legs after resting?

I'll just address this part. It's ridiculously hard, which is why you don't do it. You don't stop for one second more than you absolutely have to. You sure as hell don't sit down unless it's absolutely necessary, and if you do, you get back up as soon as you possibly can. You don't rest. You keep going. You set your mind to it and that's it. You go forward until the race is over or until you're physically incapable. No other options. If you let yourself have any other outs in mind, you'll take them.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

I would count yourself lucky that you haven't cramped up during a race.  It happens, and generally is more likely to occur the harder or longer you run.  The more you push beyond your limits the

more likely it is to occur.  As to why, it can be a variety of factors such as lactic acid buildup, heat exhaustion, fueling or hydration problems, or as milktruck suggested your body trying to get you to stop.

Contrary to what Greg C has experienced, I have found a little rest is necessary for me to avoid cramping in some cases.  I usually have to force myself to stop and rest or walk.   I'm talking about a 5 minute aid station stop or walk break though, not an hour nap.   YMMV

Wing

Joggaholic

I'll just address this part. It's ridiculously hard, which is why you don't do it. You don't stop for one second more than you absolutely have to. You sure as hell don't sit down unless it's absolutely necessary, and if you do, you get back up as soon as you possibly can. You don't rest. You keep going. You set your mind to it and that's it.

As to why, it can be a variety of factors such as lactic acid buildup, heat exhaustion, fueling or hydration problems, or as milktruck suggested your body trying to get you to stop.

Contrary to what Greg C has experienced, I have found a little rest is necessary for me to avoid cramping in some cases.  I usually have to force myself to stop and rest or walk.   I'm talking about a 5 minute aid station stop or walk break though, not an hour nap.   YMMV

Thanks for the insights. I think the main question I have is the "why after but not during" part. Like you all have pointed out, a quick stop/rest is ok, but longer is not. It seems counterintuitive that one can keep going after recovering from a short walk break, but not after a longer walk break or a sitting-down break. I know there's a mental aspect to it too, but my legs certainly felt physically very different before vs after sitting down.

Sitting down for more than a couple minutes at an aid station is usually a sign of trouble. You have to sit in order to address foot issues or a medical hold but otherwise it is far better to keep moving. These are two important rules of ultra-racing: relentless forward motion, beware the chair.

I read your notes on the race in your log. Given your ankle injury, stopping was the right thing to do. Otherwise, your strategy for a 100+ mile finish was solid, especially doing run/walk from the beginning.

I am not an exercise scientist but I suspect that lock-up is due to a slowdown in circulation, from lack of movement and cold temperatures, that disrupts aerobic glycosis. If that process needs to re-start, then you need some anaerobic help to get moving initially, but that help may not be available due to severe glycogen depletion. Sitting, eating, and drinking for 30-60 minutes under a pile of blankets usually helps.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I have been puzzled by a similar question, why do my legs cramp up when the finish line is in sight (but not before)? After many years of running without any cramping, I experienced some cramping in a half marathon when I was at 13 miles. It was a hot day and I attributed it to under-hydration. But it happened again in a Half Ironman, I felt a little cramping just 10 meters away from the finish line and then everything cramped for a few seconds just after crossing the finish line. Again, a very hot day. But last week, I felt some cramping coming on at mile 25 in the NYC marathon. I checked my form, ran easy, and avoided complete cramping up. This time, it was not excessively hot and I was well hydrated. It is mysterious to me because I have ran many half marathons and marathons without cramping. Why now and why at the end of the race, even when the distance varies?

Here's an article about it, but it still doesn't answer my questions: http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/muscle-cramps