Racing Flats for Flat Feet (Read 2931 times)

lap

I have flat feet. I race and do speedwork in Axiom 2s, but don't use them as my everyday shoe for the reasons stated above. For day to day runs, I wear shoes that have more stability. I very much like the Axiom 2s, but resist the temptation to do all my runs in them.
      My vote - you would be nuts to run/race in racing flats. Your profile says that, "my dad had 5 bypasses done in 2006 at the age of 48 and the doctor said it's hereditary." You are running for the ***LONG**** term. Don't even think about doing something that could lead to injury. I have flat feet, I am approaching 60 and there is no way I would run/race in flats.
      Wearing a shoe ~10 times a year that's essentially the same as every shoe that every runner wore in the 70s-80s for every run is not going to cause injury. Though Makers I would reccomend that you run your marathons in a bridge shoe rather than a true flat -- like the New Balance 903, Brooks ST Racer, or Asics DS Trainer.
      For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
        From what I hear, flats only make a measurable difference if you're racing at a really good/sub elite/elite level. For most folks, it won't matter too much one way or the other. Second, I guess it would depend on the distance. You'd probably come away sore but suffering no long term damage running a 5k or 5 mile in flats. Running a marathon in flats might end your running days. Orthotics might be an answer, but I'm not sure how well they work in flats. Never tried it nor known anyone that has. Maybe someone else can help out with that one.
        You must be thinking about distance spikes, the traction only makes a difference at the elite level for distance events. Racing flats (when compared to xbox-sized trainers) are worth about 5-6 seconds a mile for a 20 minute 5ker. My podiatrist, who prescribed me orthotics, and was treating my current (at the time) case of plantar fasciitis in both feet, said that racing in racing flats would not signiricantly impede my recovery or cause additional injury, and he absolutely said that there was no point in putting orthotics in racing flats. He also wears racing flats for marathons.
        For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
        dfffff

How far do you race in your Adidas RC's?
          I don't race in them that much. Longest races I do on roads are 5K and I have worn them with no problems. They work fine for all distances. I've done 15 mile long runs in them. I would take that with a grain of salt though because I'm only 20 years old and I can still take a beating and feel fine. And I disagree that running/racing in flats is bad for people with flat feet. I've done all of my training for the past 3 years in flats and I have yet to become injured because of it. Someone who has had foot problems in the past might want to ease into racing in flats if they've never done it before but flat feet don't disqualify someone from racing flats. I basically don't have arches and I manage quite well. I will grant that I would not be able to do this if I were 40 or 50 so it may work out differently for you folks.
            I've heard good things about the Mizuno Wave Elixer 3's and the New Balance 903's, but have not tried either of them
            I recently bought a pair of the Mazuno Wave Elixer 4's and raced a half marathon in them last weekend. They worked great and I plan to use them for Boston. They are more of a lightweight performance shoe (with some stability), but heavier than pure racing flats. I like lighter shoes for racing, but there is a trade-off as the distance gets longer. If I use a pure racing flat, my legs fatigue earlier which more than offsets the benefit of the lighter shoe. I have no problem, however, using a pure racing flat (one that has some stability) for 5k's and 10k's. Besides the slight benefit of a lighter shoe, I believe there is a psychological benefit. They help get your mind into racing. As for training, I use the lighter shoes more sparingly. It is all about cumulative mileage and stress on the legs, I like to train in a stability shoe like the Asics 2130 for most of my runs. They put less stress on my legs, and I find my legs recover quicker. If I were 20 (like PurpleHaze), instead of 60, I might look at it differently.
            rambler from oz

racing flats help alot in any race and you CAN tell the difference. The height if your arch will not effect your racing flats. As long as you only wear them for the race you shouldn't worry about injury. Make sure though you buy flats for the appropriate race/distance. A 3.5 oz. shoe for exampl wouldn't be for the half marathon.

Run and never halt

For running is perfection

Run and do not fear the thorns in the path

For they draw only corrupt blood

Old, Slow, Happy

My vote - you would be nuts to run/race in racing flats. Your profile says that, "my dad had 5 bypasses done in 2006 at the age of 48 and the doctor said it's hereditary." You are running for the ***LONG**** term. Don't even think about doing something that could lead to injury. I have flat feet, I am approaching 60 and there is no way I would run/race in flats.
                This is my vote also. No one has feet any flatter than mine. My physycal therapist used me as an example of the worst he's seen at a seminar he was leading. I have been fighting runners knee since August. It started because I used a stability shoe instead of my Books Beast motion control shoe for 18 miles. I have not gotten rid of the runners knee yet. I'm not syaing this would happen you, but I would not take the chance.
                  Interesting that these threads always talk about flat feet when talking about folks who need motion control shoes. What about folks with a normal arch who over pronate? Is this not a common thing? Are the issues the same for us?

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

mikeymike

Don't even think about doing something that could lead to injury.
                    Like, say, training and racing at a high level? Look, nobody has put forth any evidence that doing *some* training or racing in flats will increase one's risk of injury at all. I don't have flat feet but my own conclusion is that doing some running in racing flats actually makes me less injury prone as it strengthens my feet and lower legs. The OP may have started running for the health benefits but he runs primarily to train to RACE, now not just for the health benefits. Otherwise he'd be jogging around at about half the weekly mileage he is now and not doing things like mile repeats on snowy roads. Racing flats do make you faster, maybe only 2-3 seconds per mile but makers may be at that point in his running where 2-3 seconds per mile matters. And I don't think they increase your risk of injury at all--they possibly decrease it.

Runners run

My future track stars

I like the Nike Zoom Marathoners. I have somewhat flat feet but am not injury prone. I usually buy two pair a year for about a dozen races. I also train in them for workouts when my legs are fresh. I'm not fast enough for super lite shoes so I use these for all distances. They are not all that expensive either. Good luck!