Racing in the rain (Read 1137 times)

ud32

Planning on running in a half marathon road race this weekend - forecast is for steady rain. I'm a mid-packer so not contending for any awards. Anything I need to pay attention to when dressing for a race in the rain - temps will be about 50ish degrees. My biggest concern is running that long and getting really wet socks and dealing with blisters.

an amazing likeness

Overall, fight your instinct to try and cover up to stay dry -- you're going to get soaked so just go with it...wear less layers than you think, otherwise you'll battle overheating.

For 50s and rain, I'd go with a short sleeve tight-fitting (or compression) shirt as the first layer, then a normal long-sleeve running shirt outer layer (paying attention to pick one that doesn't have sleeves that will grow all droopy with the wet), normal shorts and thin socks.

Body Glide or Sport Shield can help the feet, but you probably wont be dealing with too much foot wear and tear from wet skin.

mta: I usually go to all sorts of effort to stay dry right to the start and avoid standing in the starting area getting soaked and cold. Toss shirts, hats, garbage bags, etc, etc. It's comical.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Wool works well.  Not sure if a perma-wet tech shirt will be warm enough.

As for feet: slather them with vasaline or body-glide to keep the skin from deteriorating from wet+friction.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

For 50s and rain, I'd go with a short sleeve tight-fitting (or compression) shirt as the first layer, then a normal long-sleeve running shirt outer layer (paying attention to pick one that doesn't have sleeves that will grow all droopy with the wet), normal shorts and thin socks.

That's exactly what I wore last night for a 12 miler at 55 degrees in light rain.  I had a lightweight running jacket tied around my waist, which I almost put on during a period of light headwind. 

ud32

Makes sense - your right - the instinct is to completely cover up. Thinking dri-fit t-shirt and windbreaker vest instead of long sleeve shirt on top. Will have to see what temps are like Sunday morning. Was thinking big garbage bag over everything at the starting line and take it off right before the gun.

an amazing likeness

Photo below shows the start of a half marathon last fall in steady, heavy rain, 50F and north wind.  You can see the full inventory of gearing approaches from completely covered, to trash bags, to whatever....every approach is probably represented in some form.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

L Train

50s and rain I'm in a singlet, shorts and some throw away gloves and a garbage bag or something to start.  I've never had to do this, but if there's a bunch of standing around outside before the start someone once suggested ziploc bags and rubber bands for your feet.  Just make sure you get somewhere warm quickly when you are done.

MTA: If it weren't a race I'd be wearing more.

ud32

Great photo - lots of different outfits. Throw away poncho for me at the start is the plan. I like the plastic bags and rubber bands for the shoes before the start, hoping for not much rain or at least not much standing around before hand. Thanks

I run in the rain once every few weeks but a friend told me it wasn't worth it because of the higher injury risk.  Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

I've heard that putting a pair of socks on and then sandwich baggies (gallon size) and then another layer of socks on will keep your feet nice and dry and comfortable.  Just a rumor.  Never actually tried it myself Wink

On the serious side.  Garbage bag at the start to keep you dry and as warm as possible.  Plus gives you a private portapotie for the guys if you have a gatorade bottle.  No I don't have the guts for that one.  One minute before the start take bag off and throw away.  Then just embrace the getting wet.  Not even worth it to wear a rain jacket as you will just get hot and sweat from the inside. 

Oh Yeah lots of Body Glide and I mean lots of body glide all over the place. 

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                      • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                      • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
                      xor

I run in the rain once every few weeks but a friend told me it wasn't worth it because of the higher injury risk.  Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

???

I live in Seattle.

Now, it doesn't rain here as much as people think but still.

To decide whether there is "any" truth in that nugget, I guess it would be worth pondering where those additional injury risks come from.

Anyway, if I had to wait for no-rain, I would have run, perhaps, twice during the month of March.

Nah.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I love running in the rain.   

steph  

#artbydmcbride

slips and falls from wet pavement?

Runners run

xor

Tripping over waterlogs.

Best Present Ever

I have never fallen when it's raining, though I've certainly fallen while running. I run when I'm scheduled to run, whether it's raining or not.  The only rain-related slipperiness I encounter is wet leaves + rain in the fall, and then I'm just careful.  Unless you're trail running?  In which case, mud is awfully slippery.