Do You Care Who Wins? (Read 990 times)

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I don't begrudge anyone a living, but I have tremendous respect for those that run (or jump, or climb, etc) just for the love of it.
    Me too, I'm just not sure they have to be mutually exclusive - it just means that choices have to be more economic. There's a lot of underdogs competing in the Olympic men's trials that fall into the "just for the love of it" category, I am hoping that at least one of them makes it.
    I do know the course, and I can tell you where NOT to turn. Smile http://runningahead.com/forums/topic/0c55cb2ab3af481dacbfec900b85b6ff Not flat, not fast, but it is USATF sanctioned so no monkey attacks. BTW, I'm up by Trader Joe's, so if you see an old guy with long hair (with gray "highlights") running or walking a greyhound be sure to say hi!
    I'm down near the Alewife T just off the bike path - I run it almost every day, so I'm sure I'll run into you sooner or later. I'm the short nerd with the pig tails and 6,000 gadgets (even my foot blinks). Does the USATF really provide a monkey-free guarantee? Apparently, I'm going to have to re-read their course standards.
    SXC Beast

Planeteer

This topic came up for discussion on our local message board, and I thought it would be interesting to hear people's opinions on this question. What impact does the strength of the field have on your racing experience?
      If by "Strength of the Field" you mean how good the other people are, then I enjoy running with better runners. It helps me push myself harder. Say, if someone is ahead of me, and they pass by a bush. I'll think to myself. "Okay, I have to hurry up and pass the bush 5 seconds after them at the most!"
      Do you think races should try to attract more elite runners to races by offering prize money? Or is that money better spent elsewhere?
      It depends. Sometimes I think people just enter races for the money. If you don't have a prize/prize money, then you will get more runners who are there just because they love to run. However, if I did win money from a race, I wouldn't complain. Big grin
      Do you care who wins the race in which you participate? Is the time he or she runs important to you in any way?
      No. I ususally only view my times. I do look at their times sometimes to see if they are getting better, and if they are, Its inspiration to push myself harder.

I care who wins every race I run in. I try to be that person. If it isn't me, then I hope that it is a teammate of mine. If it isn't a teammate, then I hope that it is somebody from my state. If it isn't somebody from my state, then I hope that it is somebody from my country. If it isn't somebody from my country, I hope that they speak English. The vast majority of races that I run in are local, which means that I see the same people (front of the pack to back of the back) at most of them. One of my teammates absolutely dominates almost every race that he runs. The only people who can consistently beat him are some of the younger talent that isn't living in the state anymore but comes back for the big races or to jump in something while home visiting family. I think that prizes are important, whether cash or not. It is very exciting when you win something, especially when you aren't used to it. Not just overall prizes, but age group or other category prizes as well. Some races make it easier to win than others (town finishers, 5 year age groups, etc) I run for the love of it, and I usually don't win. But I always try*. *Now and again I use a race as a workout. These are not common, and when in the race I have trouble not racing.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I care who wins every race I run in. I try to be that person. If it isn't me, then I hope that it is a teammate of mine. If it isn't a teammate, then I hope that it is somebody from my state. If it isn't somebody from my state, then I hope that it is somebody from my country. If it isn't somebody from my country, I hope that they speak English. The vast majority of races that I run in are local, which means that I see the same people (front of the pack to back of the back) at most of them. One of my teammates absolutely dominates almost every race that he runs. The only people who can consistently beat him are some of the younger talent that isn't living in the state anymore but comes back for the big races or to jump in something while home visiting family. I think that prizes are important, whether cash or not. It is very exciting when you win something, especially when you aren't used to it. Not just overall prizes, but age group or other category prizes as well. Some races make it easier to win than others (town finishers, 5 year age groups, etc) I run for the love of it, and I usually don't win. But I always try*. *Now and again I use a race as a workout. These are not common, and when in the race I have trouble not racing.
          DITTO! Especially the first paragraph. Spot on.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

mikeymike

Interesting info, BadDawg. The possibility of a free event was just mentioned on our local board and met with skepticism.
            Jeff, there are lot of free races around here. You don't need a permit to run a race on the roads...unless you plan to shut down the roads to traffic. When the Boston Marathon was free it was also only open to a few dozen (or couple hundred at it's peak) runners. Now it's open to 20,000. Not unreasonable that you need permits and offical road closings for something that. The course has changed several times before and after prize money. Actually where I live (and where Erica and BadDawg live) most of the roads were built for people, not cars.

Runners run

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Actually where I live (and where Erica and BadDawg live) most of the roads were built for people, not cars.
              Actually, I think a lot of them were made for moving cows around. Now everyone just gets angry when I hold up traffic with my cow.

Why is it sideways?

I have an irrational hatred of cars. Especially considering that I own one. Roll eyes
                  The only time I care who wins is when my husband does this little local 5k, which we're running Saturday. He won last year and will probably win again this year, so that's nice. Every other race, he does really well but isn't close to winning, and I just try to hit my own personal goals. I can't really imagine caring if the person who wins speaks English. Sorry, I just don't see the relevance. If someone runs really well and wins, great for them, regardless of where they're from or what language they speak.
                  PWL

Has been

I dislike the mentality that "roads are for cars". They are not; they are shared public space for all types of vehicles and for people. In fact, in many states, pedestrians and bicycles legally have as much right to the road as automobiles. While I can agree with covering extra police, etc for road closures I do have an issue with the idea that we should compensate taxpayers for using their roads, particularly if I am a taxpayer myself. The tourists that flood the roads near my house don't compensate me for using the roads, and they block the roads more completely and for a much longer period of time than our races ever do. I think there has to be some happy medium for all involved. It's public space--I think there is some way we can share it. Prior to the marathon I ran in October, I was involved in a discussion with some women who lived along the marathon route who were complaining about the fact that the road was going to be closed. I mentioned the fact that the road was closed for three hours once a year and asked them if that seemed excessive. They didn't have much response. Sorry for the thread jack, I don't really remember what the thread was even about. But I think we need to do a better job as a society of being more open with our public spaces. It's like we have an entire generation who never learned the fundamentals of sharing in school. P.S. Apologies for ranting...

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

I have an irrational hatred of cars.
                      Me too. That's why I bought a big ole truck. Partly because it's just what we do down here in Texas. Partly so I can crush people who drive cars irrationally. Clowning around Maybe you should get a big ole truck, Jeff.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

What the heck? Cool I like the idea of random participant prizes based upon finishing position! Big grin

Vim

I dislike the mentality that "roads are for cars".
                          I dislike the mentality that train tracks are for trains! (try to walk them!)

Vim

Do you care who wins the race in which you participate? Is the time he or she runs important to you in any way?
                            It means very little to me who wins. Location is up there pretty high... What a race supports is up there too. If it supports something I disagree with then I probably with not participate (example a GLBT run).

Vim

I can't really imagine caring if the person who wins speaks English. Sorry, I just don't see the relevance. If someone runs really well and wins, great for them, regardless of where they're from or what language they speak.
                              If they do not speak English, I will have difficulty communicating with them after the race. So I care very much if they speak English. I'm not shy about walking up and saying hello or good race. Most runners that I have met are more than willing to chat for a little while, and you can glean a lot of interesting info from a random conversation with somebody that is a better runner than you. Running is a simple activity that is very difficult to master. I am always a student of how I can improve, especially as I get older and my body changes and gives me different parameters to work around.

Run to Win
                              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Oh, I apologize. I thought you wanted them to speak English because of some kind of nationalistic fervor or something. You know, like when I tell people I'm considering adopting a baby from another country and they freak out on me because there are kids in America who need homes. A kid who needs a home is a kid who needs a home -- why would it matter what country he/she was born in? Ok now I'm REALLY off topic... I like what you said about running being a simple activity that is difficult to master. So true. It's something our bodies can do naturally, certainly, but doing it WELL is one of the most difficult things you can attempt in terms of being an athlete. I think it's fantastic that you feel comfortable talking to race winners. I guess I'm too intimidated! Except, of course, when my husband or one of my students wins...