I'm getting married! (Read 1098 times)

MarineLover08

I ran cross country for 3 years in high school and then was jointly enrolled in college my senior year. I completely fell out of it when I started college. But I'm getting married this May and I don't want to be out of shape when I walk down the isle. I weighed a mere 140 when I was running roughly 9-10 miles A DAY and now I'm at 180!!! Shocked That is not good. Anyways, I also started smoking while I was still running cross country. I was up to two packs a day for 2 years and I'm quitting right now. I'm down to about 1/2 a pack a day Smile I started running again about 2 weeks ago, then found an old work out schedule while I was cleaning out some boxes! I've started following that and it's only been since Tuesday (today is day 4). It's a 3 month schedule which means I will finish it a week or two before my wedding! Perfect Shy Anyways, I just found this web site and I really like it. Someone talk to me please!!! -Brogan

Oh Mighty Wing

Congrats!!! I'm getting married in 19 days - yeah!!! and i did the same thing. Have you bought your dress yet? I bought mine at David's bridal and held out on altering it and when i went back 2 weeks ago I got to buy a size smaller. That was 4 months later. Anyway, good luck on this journey!
      LnghrnBelle

Hi!! Congrats on getting married soon!! This must be a very exciting time for you! I may have something that can help you completely stop smoking. Depending on where you live, the American Cancer Society has a quit smoking program that can offer telephone counseling and self help material for free. Its really great and its helped lots of people! You can find more information about that with this link: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/PED_10_3x_Find_Support.asp?sitearea=PED Good luck and congrats again!
        I do not want the peace that passeth understanding. I want the understanding which bringeth peace. --Helen Keller

Big Chicken!

Join the ExSmokers user group here. We talk running and other BS and help support each other in the quest to be smoke-free. Some of us have been quit more than a year, others are like you~just about to give it up. We are a very supportive group. Come check us out. Congrats on being married (or being close to it).
          Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!
            Congrat on your getting marred. I was a smoker for 30 yrs. I couldn't stop no matter what I tried even once my wife threaten me of devoice. You know what, running really helped me quit smoking cold turkey. It has been 13 months today not a puff. My wife and children are proud of me. Remember the first 20 days in quitting smoking, I PR after PR in running to relieve of stress. Either way I am glad. When you are craving, just keep thinking of just smoke one more wouldn't make your life hell lot of better. Good luck on your marriage and quit smoking.

SMART Approach

Good job Brogan. What is the schedule you are doing now??? Remember, you have to run almost all of your miles at a slow comfortable pace and gradually increase mile for 4 weeks and back off one week. Right now, stay away from fast intervals. Build your aerobic base first. You don't want to get injured. Be smart so you can walk straight down the isle. Ha!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Ringmaster

So much to congratulate you on! May you rediscover in running a sport that you truly enjoy. May the taste of clean air be sweet to your lungs. May your wedding day be perfect, the day a promise is sealed in public that was made in your hearts long before. May your marriage be lasting, enduring any storm, trial, or injury! Here's to many smoke-free miles! Karina

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                Mile by Mile

gracerunner

Congratulations! Remember that marriages are like the stock market. They fluctuate. So don't freak out during bear markets, it'll be bull before you know it. Never go to bed angry. And when you get to the point where sex isn't as goood as what it was, have it anyway--sex is like the stock market as well. And just stop smoking NOW. It's the only time you'll ever do it. Ever. You have the power and the perserverence to make it through the intitial cold-turkey crap. The cutting down a little at a time rarely works. Do it NOW! Be brave. Stop believing you're powerless to change right NOW. You are powerless over cigarrettes though, they'll beat you very time if you keep picking them up. Good luck. Just imagine, you won't stink anymore (because you do--like all smokers)! You can do it! You can do it! I changed. You can. Have a happy, creative, loving, and fun marriage.
                  Gig

Here's my dumb little quit smoking tip: whenever you want a cigarette, drink a glass of water. That helped me, along with having a child. I haven't smoked since the day before she was born. The real trick is staying motivated. I would quit for several months, then decide it was okay to have one, then two, then a half pack, then a pack a day. It's really easy to slip back into bad habits. That's why I turned to water. I turned it into an obsessive habit. It worked for me, but then, I'm not completely right in the head. Good luck.

Congratulations! I got married a year and a half ago, and it feels like yesterday.

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations! I got married a year and a half ago, and it feels like yesterday.
                        I got married 21 years, 8 months, and 7 days ago, and it STILL feels like yesterday! Gets better every year.

jfa

25 years of marraige and 2 years,8 days and some minutes since my last smoke.Been running for a year and getting younger everyday! Congratulations and Don't give up!!! Not one puff!!!! Evil grin