What headlamp do you like AND WHY? (Read 993 times)

markrice

Geezer trying for speed

I'm going to replace my headlamp. I'm wanting to know what headlamp do you like

AND MAYBE MORE IMPORTANTLY... WHY do you like it?

What features are a must.

What should one be careful of?

For me, I've not had a good one, but there are some things I like:

• Flashing mode (cars see me much better with this)
    • Bright rear flasher
    • Should last at LEAST 5 hours
    • Light (my current is heavy)
    • No bouncing

Let us know your thoughts.

Anyone could see races, etc. on www.markrice.com/running.

I believe in HR training: www.markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html

xor

I gave up the headlamp in certain circumstances for a fenix handheld and love that mo bettah.  By lots.

When I do supplement it with a headlamp, I use a not-expensive Princeton Tec Remix.  Built like a tank, ok battery life, not hard to change them batteries.

Coastal

I have two.  My new one this fall is a Black Diamond Sprinter and I love it.  It is bright enough, light enough, has a flashing rear light, and uses a li-ion battery so it is lightweight  and rechargeable.  I've used it in driving rainstorms and it works well.  I'm not sure it would be a good trail light as I'd like more power and a wider beam for trails.  However, I will try it out and see.  The most useful feature is that it has just enough power that I can look down and see the ground right in front of my feet even when a car approaches on high bean, and after it passes when I am night blind.

http://www.irunfar.com/2010/10/black-diamond-sprinter-review.html

My old one is a Petzl Tikka and is not bright enough.  It left me blinded by car lights and unable to see the road.  Ended up stepping in holes.

Mysecondnewname

1+ to the props for this years' version of the Black Diamond Sprinter (this is the grey one that can be charged via USB charger)

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Sprinter-Headlamp-Titanium/dp/B003PQW4LO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356082418&sr=8-1&keywords=black+diamond+sprinter

It's very bright, has flashing mode as well as a rear red flasher.  It is lightweight, holds up in the rain, and does not bounce (has a top head strap).

It fits snugly, but has enough give that I can wear it over a running cap where it stays put.  (At first I did think it was too small, but once I got running with it, I was glad as the tightness helps eliminate bouncing.  I would suggest trying it out at your LRS if you are concerned about the size.)

It's battery lasts easily 6 hours for me on high beam.  It's supposed to last much longer with low intensity beam, but I haven't tried it.

The one thing I don't like as well is that there is really no practical way to remove the light unit from the elastic head strap for cleaning.  However, since I wear it over a cap, the strap really doesn't get as sweaty as it would if I wore it directly on my head.

This light has kept me out of trouble running on the trails in the early AM, and I'd definitely buy it again.

Good luck!

delicate flower

I have a Black Diamond Icon. 200 lumens of awesome.  Not cheap though ($80).  I'm not sure what you require for weight, but the battery pack (4 AA's) on the back of the head does have a little weight to it, thought not at all enough to be bothersome.  The adjustable straps allow it to be a snug fit with zero bouncing. 

<3

an amazing likeness

Some previous headlamp discussions may have some info of interest

here's one

here's another

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

FSBD

I have one very similar to this http://www.coleman.com/product/mini-headlamp/2000001127?contextCategory=1116#.UNSC5-TAd8E

It is extremely light and plenty bright.  

I bought it in October and use it just about every night after work and I have not yet replaced the batteries.  So it lasts a heck of a lot longer than 9 hours.

The draw is definitely how light it is.  

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Sharz96

Knuckle lights for me.

I don't like headlamps, period.  I don't like the weight and lopsided feeling on my forehead, but even more, I hate that it puts the light anywhere I look, because I look all around me.  A lot.  I don't want the light going into people's yards and windows or at cars, etc. I want it ALWAYS at my feet.  I don't like the split second of dark when I look back at the ground, before my headlamp catches up to my eyes.

You would think that the light would bounce at your feet, but it doesn't.  It's broad and bright enough, that with two crossing each other constantly, you get a solid swath of light at and several steps ahead of your feet.   Knuckle lights are more visible to vehicles in an area of other light sources, because most everything else is steady, while the knuckle lights will be two, bobbing.  They come with a red flashing reflector to clip on your back, but I've never actually used it.

They use 4 AAAs and with good batteries I get about 25 hours. Maybe more--just estimating.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I prefer a flashlight to a headlamp and use an Olight that is no longer made (with no comparable replacement) - 30+ hours at its lowest setting, which is quite usable on most trails I've been on. 24 hours on its next brighter setting, which is plenty of light.

When I do use a headlamp (as backup to flashlight during races), I wear it around my chest. I don't like stuff on my head and can't imagine that I'd want a headlamp there. And, I like that the light stays pointed where I'm going, even as I look around. I also like to think it might be slightly less annoying to other runners - not as likely to blind them, unless they are a midget or small child.

That said, I prefer my Petzl Tikka Plus to my plain old Petzl Tikka ... brighter in its brightest mode.

Liz

pace sera, sera

zonykel

Knuckle lights for me.

+1. I find them easy to carry/hold without much pressure. They are fairly bright as well.

markrice

Geezer trying for speed

Thanks to all for great perspectives and reasons for each method. ...and for specific model thoughts. I feel much better prepared to decide.

Anyone could see races, etc. on www.markrice.com/running.

I believe in HR training: www.markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html

Been out at night a few times lately.  I got a rayovac from Home depot for $17 or something like that.  Two light levels 100 lumens and 36 lumens. 3 hours on high 15 hours on low. (they claim). I use NMhi rechargables. The high setting gets me down the driveway through the potholes- then I swtich to lower  ( or turn off if moonlight or bright starlight) when I get to the pavement. The bright setting really lights things up. Has a loop over the head, so stays put- I hook a flashing red bike light on the back.

NHLA

princeton tec  4 mode  H2O 1M. 4 leds so wide view. This light is so bright I leave it on medium setting unless I'm on trails. Nice battery life.

Thats rad

I prefer to run with my trusty Smith and Wesson strapped to my leg. If a car gets to close I'll give em a warning shot, and if that doesn't work, blow one of their tires.

When I do use a headlamp (as backup to flashlight during races), I wear it around my chest. I don't like stuff on my head and can't imagine that I'd want a headlamp there. And, I like that the light stays pointed where I'm going, even as I look around. I also like to think it might be slightly less annoying to other runners - not as likely to blind them, unless they are a midget or small child.

This +1. Having the headlamp tight enough that it doesn't move leads to pressure that gives me headaches.

I am thinking about getting a flashing red light to go on the back also, to have all bases covered.

For visibility, I have a reflective vest (two x  two inch high horizontal bands on a yellow vest. Seems pretty effective, as most cars start giving me room 30-40 yards before they reach me

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014