running in the snow. love it!! (Read 664 times)

ok so I know that this is not a big deal to alot of you running fanatics out there but we don't have that many opportunities in W. Wa. unless you want to do winter trail running in the Cascades.  so yesterday snowed most of the day & went out on an easy little run in city park along river.  pretty with snow on banks & log jams (where there was a lone bald eagle) & dusting on ground.

today however more snow (expecting 3" or more out our way + the 3" from yesterday).  hated thought of heading to treadmill for my Sunday LR so I got myself bundled up to pretty much 100% waterproof, put on my  Brooks Adrenelene GTX trail runners & headed out.   few kids out with sleds & people with dogs.  Headed up to 2nd hill above our house to my "secret" trails.   beautiful with snow drifts of several inches, breaking through branches falling down with weight of snow, up/down a few small gulleys, up & over fallen trees.  couple times lost track of trail so had to make my own.  virgin snow except for occassional deer & coyote tracks.   just loved it!!!!  still & quiet & no other humans

again I know this is not a big deal for alot of you but had so much fun had to share & the way it is coming down right now I think we may double that expected 3 more inches before day is out, easily.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Awesome! Those days when it is snowy but not windy are nice! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

keeponrunning

I can definitely relate.  I love running in the snow.  The only problem is the last two snowstorms we've had have been preceded by freezing rain, which makes running a tough challenge.  :P

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

keeponrunning

I can definitely relate.  I love running in the snow.  The only problem is the last two snowstorms we've had have been preceded by freezing rain, which makes running a tough challenge.  Tongue

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

I can definitely relate.  I love running in the snow.  The only problem is the last two snowstorms we've had have been preceded by freezing rain, which makes running a tough challenge.  :P

that can sometimes be the problem here as well.  So far not alot of wind & temp hovering around 33/34. Very nice.   Our snow is very high concentration of water so when the snow melts even alittle & followed by freezing temps and/or freezing rain it becomes  a huge problem getting around whether on 2 feet or 4 wheels.

been coming down good for awhile now, so I think that we have just abit hit our "prediction" of 3" for today already & my measurement (100 % acurate of course) shows 6" at house.  better than 6 ft. that some have.

It's a big deal for me too even though I have been running for 4 winter seasons and I live in Canada! I love running that first snow, especially at night and I also liked today's winter wonderland run along a groomed trail. Yay winter! Except for maybe Meg's winters - she's got some tough challenging days right Meg? ;-)

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

I am south of you Skyedog but now are gettting the snow and it is so pretty.  I looked at it out the window while on my TM  Sad, as I had to stay home to babysit.  When walking the dog earlier, I noted how snow falling really deadens sound, making it much quieter (and I live near the hiway).  Why does it seem that snow does that and not rain?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I had one opportunity to run in just a dusting of snow when living in Fort Worth, TX. Wasn't a runner when we lived in the north east in Nashua, NH but did love the snow back then. Probably couldn't take the cold anymore tho. Living now in Austin, TX its highly unlikely I'll get the change to run in new fallen snow. Not unless we visit the north east right after a snowfall!

bob e v
                  2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

We had a group run yesterday at a large metro park and we had just had a light snow.  While we were running it started snowing again.  It was so pretty.  Tried out my new yak tracks.  Loved them, no slipping at all.  Only problem was the frozen "bumpy" mud under the snow.  Couldn't see it but sure felt it when you hit it.  Our run took us around a small lake that was partially frozen.  Very pretty.  Too many in our group (50 or so) to see the wildlife that is usally out there. 

Welcome to snow running. Smile  We're having some of our best snow in years, as long as snow removal crews can keep up with it and groomers or users can break trail.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

looks like we got 2-3" last night & now up to around 81/2-9 at our house & rest of Puget Sound is finally getting hit.  there are so many microclimates around here that when it snows it is not always widespread, just pockets & at different times.  We live 30 miles NE of Seattle  close to foothills & live in a convergence zone that sucks in the moisture so we almost always get hit when many other areas don't.  kind of messed up yesterday by not changing out of my wet clothes right away as others in family were taking showers.  still should have changed into dry clothes,  not feeling well this morning but after starting a fire & getting morning coffee will be fine.  Probably not going out today but try to hit TM at gym later, need a good core w/o anyway.  yeah I know I'm wimping out especially since I started this thread. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

It's a big deal for me too even though I have been running for 4 winter seasons and I live in Canada! I love running that first snow, especially at night and I also liked today's winter wonderland run along a groomed trail. Yay winter! Except for maybe Meg's winters - she's got some tough challenging days right Meg? ;-)

Pretty much. The -34*C windchill this morning doesn't have me raring to get out for a run, but at least it's not -40 or worse.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.