South Mountain 10 miler (Read 601 times)

Event Description: The most macho race in the valley with only one hill, also the longest continous race in the valley. Register on line or paper app. 5 year age groups. I didn't pay attention to the "most macho race in the valley" all I saw was ONE HILL. I was like hell ya that sounds like my kind of race. Well let me tell you it's a damn good thing I didn't go check out the course, cause if I had I would of NEVER signed up. I didn't even realize that it was a run up a mountain (not a "real" mountain like they have in Washington State thankfully) until talking to dh the day ( of course he paces the place every day to work). It started out like what I expected, rolling hills. Of course that only lasted for about 2 miles or so. Then out of nowhere BOOM the longest steepest hill I had ever seen here in the valley (well almost ). Not only was it a decent incline up but the thing was neverending. About a mile up it it flattens out and just as your thanking the gawds above boom the hill is back. Lets just say whatever anxiety I had was gone. Instead was the big ? of WTF did I get myself into and how was I going to get out of it. Well I managed. As much as the first half sucked the second half was much better. Shredded my quads going down the hill but was so worth it every time I got to see Dh and the twins waving to me in the car. Yes they had found there way up to the top of the mountain and followed me a bit giving me a chance to get rid of the gloves I had been caring and to look at their smiling faces which filled me up with energy. At one point in the race dh had stopped on the side of the road, got the kids out and even crossed the road so that he could run towards me and then run with me back to the kids. Talk about AWESOME!!!! Definetly a great race for me! I was very suprised at my finishing time. I really expected it to be one of my worst times considering how slow I must of been going up the mountain, but my time ended up being 1:28:15. Not my best time for a 10 miler but definetly a great time for this race. And to think if I had seen it before hand I would of said forget it. I'm so glad I didn't and dh asked if I was doing it again next year. My reply HELL YES!! Edit: Forgot to add I decided not to bring my camelback to the race and rely on just the water stops. Guess what lol. There weren't any water stops. They had 2 gatorade stops. One on the way up and one one the way down. Needless to say I ran 10 miles with no water or anything else to drink and 4 cliff blocks ( not servings). Guess I no longer need to use my camel back for my 10 milers lol. Spent the rest of the day shopping for desks for the twins. Now off to relax and maybe have some dinner. Hope everyone had an AWESOME weekend!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Wingz

Professional Noob

What a great race! I'm glad for you that you managed to pull such a strong run out of an unpleasant surprise!

Roads were made for journeys...

Thanks Janell! Suprised the he$$ out of me!
        What a great race! I'm glad for you that you managed to pull such a strong run out of an unpleasant surprise!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Well done! A great time for the type of course, for sure. Way to conquer the challenge.
          My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48