2011 Goal of Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 8006 times)

DoppleBock

Not a bad double SR -  

Nice meeting you and congrats on 4th.  And beating me by almost an hour.  Jeepers.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Definately better races in the state - But it is our hown town race ... Not a bad debut! 

2:46:34

For my first, I'm not too disappointed.  Kind of windy.  Was doing fine through 17.  Held it together to 20.  Crashed after 21.

I believe that now that I have a better understanding of the race and training needed, I'll be able to run sub 2:40 next time.

2:46:34  For my first, I'm not too disappointed.

What the hell is wrong with you?  You should be horribly disappointed.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Nice meeting you and congrats on 4th.  And beating me by almost an hour.  Jeepers.

Yeah, but I only do one a year.

Anyway, thanks.  Hope you enjoyed the visit to the Fox Cities.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Definately better races in the state - But it is our hown town race ... Not a bad debut! 

What's your favorite?

Oh, it was bad...at least, it felt bad, but I could get through because I knew the streets.  That's why I picked the hometown race. 

Maybe I should try Lakeshore and hope for a big tailwind.

What the hell is wrong with you?  You should be horribly disappointed.

Well, I'm not on suicide watch or anything, but I'm not exactly happy either.

xor

Yeah, but I only do one a year.

Anyway, thanks.  Hope you enjoyed the visit to the Fox Cities.

I did, very much.  Good luck!

jsund81

Mark me down for a sub 3 try this weekend at Twin Cities Marathon on Sunday! my last try never happened as I got extremely ill 2 days prior and couldnt hold any food so I decided running the marathon was not a wise choice and left for another day which is this Sunday!

bhearn

I guess this will have to wait for the 2012 thread, but my goal is to break the world record* at the Houston Marathon.

* specifically, the 1908 marathon world record

DoppleBock

Green Bay

Milwaukee

I also really like (But they small and harder)

Jouneys

Paavo

Rails to Trails (Actually fast course on Rail bed)

Whistle Stop (Again fastish course on rail bed)

A track guy like you could check out Ice Breaker - Indoor in January - I have run it twice and it is pretty good.

What's your favorite?

Oh, it was bad...at least, it felt bad, but I could get through because I knew the streets.  That's why I picked the hometown race. 

Maybe I should try Lakeshore and hope for a big tailwind.

DoppleBock

See you there ...  

I guess this will have to wait for the 2012 thread, but my goal is to break the world record* at the Houston Marathon.

I Ain't Dead Yet!

Mark me down for a sub 3 try this weekend at Twin Cities Marathon on Sunday! my last try never happened as I got extremely ill 2 days prior and couldnt hold any food so I decided running the marathon was not a wise choice and left for another day which is this Sunday!

Hey, I'll be running TCM at a sub-3:00 pace on Sunday.  Using it as a fast long run for NYC and helping some buddies who want to break 3:00.  Best wishes to you.  Weather looks great for fast running!

My hair is gone and I'm almost blind
                          The days of my youth are far behind
                          My neck is stiff, I can't turn my head
                          Can't hear one-half that's being said
                          And this is the message I want you to get
                          I'm still a-kicking, and I ain't dead yet.

Schmize

Hi all,

I have been watching most of you hit your goals of sub 3:00 and also realize most of you are veterans of the sub 3:00 marathon club.  I am signed up for NYC and was thinking a 3:05 was a good goal.  As I continue to train, I am contemplating throwing my hat in the ring.  What I am asking y'all is should I be considering it.  I know I am on the edge with most of the calculators, but also know the beast of the marathon relative to those calculators.

Some background:

- 41 years old.

- 5-6 years of Endurance sports, but mainly triathlon.  Have done 2 Ironmans, but only 2 marathons.

- 1st marathon was 3:15, about 13 weeks after my 1st Ironman.  So, I guess it was my second marathon, but IM marathon is totally different.

- I took 2 weeks off after IM, and then the next 11 weeks mileage were: 24, 36, 24, 40, 44, 24, 39, 42, 32, 21, 8.  So, pretty good result for relatively low mileage.  

- 2nd Marathon was Boston.  I was more concerned with doing another IM that year, so Boston was for fun.  I did a 3:24, but it wasn't as "fun" as I wanted it to be b/c I went out too fast and didn't respect those downhills, which killed my quads (ever hear that one before?).

- I have updated my logs for the last 6 weeks, but my mileage is getting up there for me, relatively low to most of you all.

-  mainly around 50mpw, but two weeks so far at 60, 63 (this week will be 63 or so).

- I did a 5K test (not race), basically Bobby McGee 4x1600, 90s RI, which "indicates" a 18:37 5K

- Just today, my work had a 1 mile "fun" run at the local community college and I was able to run a 5:21, which surprised me.

- I have a 1/2 marathon coming up next week, which will definitely help me make my decision.

- I have been very consistent training, but most of it is split running, biking, running, and core/stabilization stuff.

What I am wondering is what do you think my odds are?  And do you have any advice or does anyone have a similar path to mine that I can learn from?  If I am nuts, just tell me.  If there is a shot or if I can do anything differently, please tell me.  I have thick skin and wasn't even considering a 3:00 until reading through this ENTIRE thread.  

What is your goal for the HM? Is this a race or a training run?

Personally, its only 5 min. And the worst thing that can happen is you end up hurting at the end of the race.

My guess is that there is a part of you that knows sub 3 is very possible.

And we run because we like it
                              Through the broad bright land

Schmize

What is your goal for the HM? Is this a race or a training run?

Personally, its only 5 min. And the worst thing that can happen is you end up hurting at the end of the race.

My guess is that there is a part of you that knows sub 3 is very possible.

Well, not exactly sure, yet.  Although, I won't taper, I am planning a recovery week, so should be rested enough.  I am hoping for 6:30s, and that seems obtainable.  I could use it as a training run and do 6:52s for 10 miles and then kick it in (assuming I am feeling good).  Its exactly a month before the NYC marathon, so open to any ideas on what the best plan is for it????

And @ParkLife, your guess is a good one, but again I have limited experience in the marathon world.