Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - Thanks. Let's just hope the taper this year goes better than last year. I would like to avoid being told I have a stress fracture two days before the race.

MJ - Good to hear from you. Definitely in peak fitness right now. My 10 miler a couple of weeks ago I snagged a 10K PR in the middle of that. It's the marathon, so you never know what will pop up, but I am in PR shape. The biggest thing I get concerned about with racing is my stomach. I don't have issues with having to go during the race, but I get serious stitches/cramping in my stomach every single race. It's just a question of whether I can control it or not, but sometimes it feels unbearable.

Corey - You've been putting up a lot of good workouts recently, excited to see how you do.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - I knew about Durant leaving just to try getting a championship. He became very unpopular around here very quickly with how he went about doing that.
      I heard on the radio today that the Thunder's home opener is Sunday!

RUUUUUUNE! - K sum A, buddy! Sorry for bringing in a reference from my high school baseball days. Is there a way for us to track you during the race?

JMac - Awesome workout. 4x 2T is a monster. How does it feel to have all the big training done?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Rune - Best of luck! I know this is a sub 1:30 forum for halfs, but excited to see how the first batch of us does in the big boy race.

Keen - Mixed emotions. Usually I'm so tired of training at this point that I'm excited for the taper, but I feel like I have a lot more in me. I guess that's a good sign for the spring cycle that I'm not burned out, and gives me confidence that I can go even higher in mileage. I feel like in the summer I never want to run that much with how much there is to do otherwise, but in the winter, who cares?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mick true nothing like pushing through discomfort to toughen one up.

Corey excellent I look forward to your half.

Jmac thats my problem in that our winters are mild enough that i can still surf and kayakfish. Im sure i would be a more dedicated runner if i couldnt do the other stuff. Yesterday I went kayak fishing but i had a rest day planned anyway.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

In relevance for this thread, I signed up for the NYC Half next March.

This course is ... tough. You have to run over a bridge to start the race (a theme with NYC races) and finish the race with the rolling hills in Central Park. There is often a wind that is directly in your face for the first 11 miles of the race. They used to have a different course that was a PR course, but this is no longer it (there's a lot of bitching going on at LRC about it). It will be exactly 4 weeks before Boston, so I do plan on using it as my final fitness test. More importantly though, I actually can run a half for real to prove I deserve to still be in this thread.

I may try to run a half earlier in my cycle too on a better course, but weather in January/February in NYC can be 15F/-10C in the mornings which can be rough to run a half in.

Marky_Mark_17

Rune - all the best for the marathon, really looking forward to seeing how you do.  You've put in a lot of work so just go out there and enjoy it!!

Corey - good stuff, looking forward to seeing how that half goes next weekend.

Jmac - that half sounds tough but the hills might be good practice for Boston (and the wind if the weather is a repeat of this year...).  Agree, -10C is definitely not ideal half weather, even I would baulk at racing in those temps.  Looking forward to seeing how you go.  I PR'ed at Coatesville on a hilly course earlier in the year and you are in really good form at the moment so I still reckon a good time could be on the cards even if the course isn't ideal.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I have sinned today and bought a pair of the Kipchoge kicks for 100bucks net of tax. I feel stupid as that 4% advantage means zero for someone as slow as me but I had to do it Smile

Might sign up for a short distance race later in the year Smile

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Nothing new to add, besides seeing some really impressive stuff on my Strava from everyone, especially Keen with his mega week. Keep up the good work!

MJ - is that 100 Swiss cheese, or whatever your currency is called? Because they’re 250 USD here.

I agree Jmac some great stuff going down on Strava from you, Mark, and Keen. And OKC did suck yesterday. 16-0 start wasnt the best....

Mick nice job getting those shoes. Thats seems cheap ! Or was the $100 just the tax bit. 

Just off to do my longer run with 4 other dudes. Will get me to 80k again which is 49 miles so lucky im not ocd in miles haha

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend (I might be late... sorry...) 

A special good luck to Rune, you have put in a lot of work!

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

Nothing new to add, besides seeing some really impressive stuff on my Strava from everyone, especially Keen with his mega week. Keep up the good work!

MJ - is that 100 Swiss cheese, or whatever your currency is called? Because they’re 250 USD here.

Ha yes quite incredible and in hindsight I am glad I did it. But its still a lot of dough for maybe 160 miles although thats probably 10 races or some 10 years at the rate I am going - so all good. So here is the thing: if I cross the border to Germany, then I basically get the VAT (19%) back on all items. They were having a 50% sale on some older model running shoes and I put on the left vaporfly for 75 bucks and i thought hm why is the navy blue vaporfly priced at 125? It turns out they had 3 pairs of the kipchoge series in my size. Incredible I thought they were so limited in numbers. The owner said that they are getting new colors in soon. So I was happy. Another thing is I had the Vaporfly on the left foot and put on the vf 4% on the right and it was like night and day, I kidd you not: that damn shoe has a pretty powerful spring in it. And it propels you forward. I know I am asking for jester to come and contradict, but its quite amazing. Just need to find a race soon, maybe a 5k or so in November!

Rune: you done yet???

runethechamp

Thanks guys! Just a quick check in here before the race tomorrow. I feel like most of the travel has gone well and I feel well rested and ready to go! For tracking I’m bib 2878 and there is an app for the race you can use or you can go to the website to do it. That site seems to be down at the moment but hopefully it will be up in the morning again.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Good luck with it!

Whats your goal pace and game plan? Sorry to ask - I have been uber busy at the new job and havent been following this thread much, unfortunately..

runethechamp

Mick, I think/hope I can do 3:15, and will try to do that with even pacing. I guess we’ll see how it ends 

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

I hope you stay patient because I am sure that the first half will feel way to easy. Kill it!!! Looking forward to the PR report Wink