Neck gaiter article (Read 185 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

So outside you likely don't need to wear anything at all then.

Most localities have certain nudity/indecent exposure laws.

undue monkey

There's actually some evidence to suggest that a decent, multi-layer cotton mask can reduce the amount virus particles you may inhale and attenuate their effects even if it doesn't protect you 100%.

Totally agree on the washing part. Masks are like socks now.

Are some of you STILL thinking that a mask is supposed to protect YOU?!

It's actually to protect others FROM you.

The whole purpose of public mask wearing is to keep potentially virus-laden particles coming out of your nose and mouth from spreading BEYOND your mask, not to keep other's particles OUT!

And since your mask is full of whatever you're exhaling, it should be changed and/or washed daily. Note to bachelors; it is NOT ok to wear your underwear several days in a row, for this same reason.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Yeah there is some protection for you from a typical cotton mask, but the main use is protecting others, breaking the chain of transmission.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

catwhoorg

Labrat

Meh, I posted the wrong pic, here's the rankings:

On that plot None and Fleece are statistically indistinguishable.
          Any comments about fleece being worse are not reasonable.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

The study specifically calls out "Gaiter type neck fleece".

I've never worn a neck gaiter, is fleece the most common material for a neck gaiter?

mikeymike

I've never worn a neck gaiter, is fleece the most common material for a neck gaiter?

For winter neck gaiters like you wear skiing, yes, very common. No sure how that compares to a typical running neck gaitor (buff) that's made of some combo of lycra and polyester.

Runners run

pepperjack

pie man

Most localities have certain nudity/indecent exposure laws.

Again, see the tombstone clip from above.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Again, see the tombstone clip from above.

Yeah, we heard ya the first time.

Wink

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Running Problem

Problem Child

https://www.sfgate.com/lifestyle/article/Wearing-a-neck-gaiter-may-be-worse-than-no-mask-15475153.php

i wonder if they’re talking about the same article. Sounds like neck gaiters are spreading covid worse than a bandana and the MASK I’ve been wearing is actually spreading covid 19. Some do protect you, but most don’t do anything to block air which I thought was important for preventing the spread of an airborne virus.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlopez

Well, no, most don't do anything to "block air" because that would not be conducive to life.

For winter neck gaiters like you wear skiing, yes, very common. No sure how that compares to a typical running neck gaitor (buff) that's made of some combo of lycra and polyester.

It would have been nice to see the test include that type of stretchable material (lycra/plyester). I have assumed that those do not do a very good job because the material expands and I assume openings get larger. But that's just my hunch and data would be good to see.

I see people wear those around my office and I have no idea how effective they are.

Such a trendy topic with such a BS-load of misinformation out there that I really resisted responding until just today.  Last evening my daughter and I conducted an experiment.  She is finishing her college curriculum to become a middle-school science teacher and one of her classes was to conduct a basic scientific experiment.  We have three basic masks that we have been using......a homemade one from our first days in this shit-show of a pandemic, a mask made by Hyperlite Mountain Gear (I love their backpacking stuff!), and a Buff.  The simple experiment we did was use a candle to try and blow out the flame at various distances.  The result was that the Buff failed miserably compared to the other two.  While the Hyperlite mask seemed to do darn well, what surprised me is that the basic homemade two-layer mask performed FAR better than the rest.  That mask was two-layer with the outer layer being a tight woven cotton layer and the inner layer was an old knit tee-shirt material.  Even at 2-inches from her mouth, she couldn't blow the candle out and it barely flickered.

The Buff, which I had been running with for months, was the worst.  She could blow out the candle at like 12-inches from her mouth.  I am re-thinking what to wear on runs.....and thinking harder about routes that keep me away from trails that have people on them.

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Gizmo2019

I know this is an oldish post but I just saw your response on your experiment. Very cool. When I was running outside I used a homemade “buff.” It was from a pair of denim jeans and I added elastic to it. It’s so not cool looking but it does the job and obviously I don’t care how I look. Since it’s denim it’s hard to breathe for long periods if I’m going uphill or too fast.

basically in my area, it’s not worth to me having to pull it up constantly, thinking about if that guys going to move or should I, etc. so I stopped running outdoors for now. Definitely better to run with less traffic when outdoors.

What did you end up choosing to wear?

I think I mentioned that I found a "secret" place to run where interactions with other people are almost nil. Driving a few miles to get there is no big deal compared with having to constantly pull my Buff up and down.

Even out-and-backs on a 1/2 mile stretch are better than running on a treadmill! Cemeteries are often devoid of the living.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Gizmo2019

Even out-and-backs on a 1/2 mile stretch are better than running on a treadmill! Cemeteries are often devoid of the living.

Yes for sure, isolated places are best at least for me. But I don’t have the luxury of time to investigate.

what’s out and back?

U mean back and forth on the same stretch?