Bam! Sudden toe pain.. (Read 71 times)

Hi all!

Newbie here, both to the forums and running. I'm usually a walker, but for the past week or so have been incorporating some running into my daily routine. Basically think Couch-to-5K kinda thing. I have also increased my distance from about 2mi per day to 5-7mi per day.

I didn't get to walk today due to a doctor's appointment. Early afternoon I began having a slight pain in my right big toe. Felt like an ingrown toenail pain, but I keep my nails a little longer and cut straight across. I really never get ingrown toenails. I took a bath tonight in Epsom salt. Now I'm laying here in bed, the toe is throbbing and I can't even walk on it. The pain went from slight to bad in a matter of hours. If you look down at my toe, the pain is in the bottom left corner of my toenail. No discoloration, just feels swollen tight, but doesn't look any different.

Would appreciate any thoughts on what this might be. Especially if it might be something that I need to see a doc for before the weekend Smile Thanks in advance!

Tim_Easterday

Were you fitted for shoes at a running store? To me it sounds like your big toe is banging into the front of the shoe and the nail is getting irritated.

pedaling fool

It's just part of running, as is shin splints and other sores, they come and go. It's your body building up, period.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Is the nail raised from its bed? If so, there might be a blister under the nail - drain it.

(This can happen when/if the toe "bangs" into the shoe - as it might, with an increase in duration and intensity of activity as you've described.)

Liz

pace sera, sera

Nail isn't raised from the bed. It doesn't look any different at all. I was not fitted for shoes, just bought a new pair of New Balance in my regular size a couple of weeks ago.

I'll have to pay attention next walk to see if I feel my toe banging against the end, that may be it.

Tim_Easterday

Yeah you may need to go up a half size or even more. When I started running I went up a half size on my running shoes and in my 2nd year of running I went up another half size for most shoes (except shoes for shorter races).

ultramarathon/triathlete

I've had the on and off pain in the big toe for about 8 years now.  Currently it's gone.  I think it's because I've finally been warning (consistently) a shoe with a larger toe box (saucony kinvara) and I wear a half size larger than I do for my daily dress shoes.

For me, it constantly felt like I had just jammed my big toe, so that might be a little different that your issue, or maybe not.  Really annoying, and naggingly painful.  I actually had an x-ray and a podiatrist examine it in the past...found out I have excellent toe mobility (go me, lol) and no signs of arthritis of the joint and they had no idea what was the cause or solution.  But, the larger shoe seems to have worked.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

I never thought of going up a shoe size. I was always told that shoes that are too big could cause problems with heel blisters and such. Pain isn't as bad today as it was last night, but I still can't run today. Maybe I can get back to running tomorrow and see how it goes. I did remember that I tightened my laces the last time I ran.. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Thanks all for the input so far! Smile

pedaling fool

My toes banging on my shoes have never been a problem; it's the banging on the pavement that's been a problem. I guess I'm just