I beat the flu! (Read 1098 times)

Well after a nice 2 week battle with the flu, I'm finally back at it. Had a sweet return workout tonight with a 3 mile run, 150 floors climbed on the stairmaster, and 15 minutes on the Elliptical! It felt so good to be back exercising Wink
    keep running!
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The flu sucks! The shot this year seemed to have missed the mark almost entirely. Glad you are feeling better. I was out for a full week, then had another week of being pretty weak.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Glad you are feeling better. I was out for a full week, then had another week of being pretty weak.
        What she said! Smile
        Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Actually, the shot did fail this year, from what I've heard. I read somewhere that the CDC and whoever else decides what strains to include in the shots made an incorrect estimation this year. Dead Hopefully they'll do a better job in the future.

TRUST THE PROCESS

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Actually, the shot did fail this year, from what I've heard. I read somewhere that the CDC and whoever else decides what strains to include in the shots made an incorrect estimation this year. Dead Hopefully they'll do a better job in the future.
            Yeah...especially since this year's shot hurt like a mofo...I felt like I'd been kicked in the shoulder.

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Yeah, I saw something about that on the news last night -- only about 40% effective this year. It's always a little bit of a crapshoot because they have to decide well in advance what strains are expected to be prevalent and set up the vaccine accordingly. Sort of an aside, but I've always believed to it's really important to get flu shots, especially for your kids. I've read a little bit about the concept of herd immunity: From Wikipedia
              Herd immunity (or community immunity) describes a type of immunity that occurs when the vaccination of a portion of the population (or herd) provides protection to un-vaccinated individuals. Herd immunity theory proposes that, in diseases passed from person-to-person, it is more difficult to maintain a chain of infection when large numbers of a population are immune. The more immune individuals present in a population, the lower the likelihood that a susceptible person will come into contact with an infected individual.
              Not everyone needs a shot to keep a population relatively disease-free, but since school-age children are the primary carriers of most communicable diseases, immunizing them has a much greater effect on the health of the population as a whole. It helps when flu shot is more than 40% effective, of course.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My PCP has a thing in his office that encourages flu shots by pointing out that a person with good health who carries the virus can put persons with weakened immune systems at risk...it's not just about keeping ourselves safe, it's about protecting infants, elderly, and those who face serious consequences if they get ill. Because of my asthma my PCP very strongly encourages me to get my shot. Though it didn't help me much this year, I will still get it. Better safe than sorry. This was the first time since I've gotten the shot that I've actually gotten sick. I need to do more to encourage did to get his shot in future years and the didlet, too. The boys need to HTFU.

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

it's about protecting infants, elderly, and those who face serious consequences if they get ill.
                  True. The shot is quite a bit less effective for the elderly, so it's not enough that they get -- people around them need to get it, too.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

As a Lab Tech, I can defintely confirm that we are having a pretty good flu season this year. I keep hearing that the numbers are quite normal, but I am a little weary that we might actually be approaching epidemic numbers shortly. I seem to have been "forgotten" by my employer when flu shots came out. (the perks of working alone on night shift) and when I went to the PCP she basically told me she couldnt guarantee that the insurance would cover it, as I was not immunocompromised, newborn, or old. so i didnt get one if i actually dodge the bullet this year it will be a freakin miracle! I have literally been swimming in positive flu tests every night......and then I go eat my dinner!! Chew on that one for a while.....
                    seeEricaRun

Awesome

True. The shot is quite a bit less effective for the elderly, so it's not enough that they get -- people around them need to get it, too.
                      I got to give hundreds of flu shots to the elderly at a nursing home this winter. It was my first time giving shots, so it was a novel experience for everyone involved and I only made a few people cry. I kept the nasal inhalant vaccine for myself. The flu vaccine still helps protect you, even when they've included the wrong strains of the virus, so it's still worth getting, even when they miss the mark.
                        It's definitely going around where I live. Several people and their families have had it at work. Actually I think my wife has it right now, 103 degree fever, chills, body aches, weakness, and she had a little nausea earlier. I had the shot this year, I know it won't totally prevent it but hopefully I won't get it too! Dead MTA: 104 degree fever Undecided
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No, it did not "fail". It just did not match perfectly. But it DOES still provide some protection. And healthy adults get influenza and die. It could next be you. It is not just infants and the elderly. It is anybody and everybody.
                            So, of course, right when I'm about recovered from the flu, this has to happen. I'm starting to get worried about my next race because the training has been going so bad. Last night at my hockey game, I went down to block a slap shot and took it right to the foot. The team doc says to stay off for at least 4 days. So now I'm going to get even farther behind. NOOOOOO!!!
                            keep running!