resuscitate your sunglasses (nose piece DIY repair) (Read 51 times)

I love my Nike Tailwind sunglasses, with the MaxSpeed tint. However, the silicone nose piece only lasts about a year before falling apart due to sweat, sunscreen, etc. There's NOTHING wrong with the rest of the glasses, but the nose piece gets leprosy. I searched for a part replacement, with zero luck except from a suspicious source with suspicious quality, for $30+.

What I did:

I used Shoe Goo in place of the silicone.

1. Remove metal nose piece from sunglasses with jewelers screwdriver.

2. clean metal with rubbing alcohol and let dry.

3. dip nose contact section into tube of Shoe Goo, let dry, repeat 3-4 times to build up thickness, paying attention to shape it correctly and get rid of any pointy, stringy parts while still wet

4. after dry, re-install in sunglasses

I did this to one pair last summer, and they're going strong with no sign of degradation. They feel fine and don't slip. I then did a second pair that I had saved because other than the nose piece there was no sign of wear.

If someone wants to experiment, maybe using a softer compound like silicone caulking would work. You can always remove it and try something else if it doesn't. I haven't had any issues with the harder Shoe Goo, but I took care to shape it like other rubber nose pieces.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I’ll bet Sugru would work, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wow, how come I have never heard of this miracle product with a slightly racist sounding name compared to shoe glue?! According to their website it works for literally any application. I'll have to get some and play with it.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It’s pretty nifty stuff. And loads cheaper than the Oakleys I invested in, in large part because they offer so many replacements pieces (as opposed to engineering them myself) and really good prescription lenses.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Seattle prattle

You might want to check out the safety concerns regarding the Toluene in the Shoe Goo.

Here's a link to useful info from the US Dept. of Labor, Occupational Safety and Health Administration: https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/toluene/health_hazards.html

Buy a pair of "Goodr" sunglasses.

You're welcome.

300m- 37 sec.

Buy an Opti-Grab.

You're welcome.

Dave

NorNev

Duct tape and bailing wire could fix it

Duct tape and bailing wire could fix it

that's too obvious, it's like saying water is wet.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Ive used Black Electrical tape.  Soft and stylish.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block